hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
looking for some opinions here. I'm going through all my fish junk and figure I should have a hosptial tank on hand. I have an old 10 gallon thats empty and everything imaginalble for it. I don't plan on any gravel or decorations obviously. my question is this, do you guys leave your hosptial tanks up and running just in case or do you hurry and assemble it when the fish get sick?

I think it's a great idea to have all the stuff for a quarantine/hospital tank on hand. You never know when you'll have to treat a sick fish, or go on a spending spree at the lfs! It doesn't even have to be a glass tank - a large rubbermaid container or garbage can will do in a pinch so long as you have a filter and heater.

I have a 10 gal hospital/QT tank with a Penguin biowheel filter. There is no substrate or decorations, so it's easier to take down. When the tank isn't in use, I keep the filter cartridge and biowheel submerged and hidden in one of my planted tanks. That way, I always have an active biofilter ready to go. I guess you could do something similar with any other brand of HOB filter, or just keep a sponge filter running in one of your tanks.

When I need to quarantine some new additions, I fill the tank with water from the 58 gal tank above it using a siphon, throw together the filter, and plug in the heater. The water is of the correct pH and temp since it came from my big tank, and I don't need to add water conditioner.

After a quarantine, I simply unplug the heater, drain the tank, and put the filter media back in my planted tank. If I were to use the tank to treat a sick fish, I would disinfect everything with bleach before draining so that I wouldn't risk infecting my planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom