House of Blues - Pink Floyd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wanted to let everyone know what a RIPOFF the House of Blues is.

We paid $139 for a one night stay, ridiculous but we expected it.

We paid $40 each for 2 tickets to the Pink Floyd Laser Show. The show was an absolute JOKE. First of all, it was just a bar where they were showing the laser show on the screen, there were no seats, and they overbooked the room way beyond capacity. When we walked in we couldn't even see anything or move. Eventually we squeezed our way to a place where we could see when the first intermission had everyone running for the bathroom. (You were allowed to smoke, which was the only positive about the entire evening :) )

The show was the corniest garbage we ever saw. It was embarrasingly stupid. Instead of just showing the Wizard of Oz or scenes from The Wall, they would show a laser-beam face on the screen or floating objects depending on what the lyrics were. ANYTHING that was even REMOTELY controversial was removed from the show.

I thought the show was a little fruity, but started to play "Empty Spaces" with the cartoon from The Wall. They ended the cartoon just before anything happened. Then I realized there was blood and violence in the cartoon.

They went into "In the Flesh" which I had high hopes for. With a jam-packed room and spotlights that they could shine on audience members to mimic the movie, they came to this part:

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?
Get 'em up against the wall. -- 'Gainst the wall!
And that one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me.
Get him up against the wall. -- 'Gainst the wall!
That one looks Jewish
And that one's a coon
Who let all this riff raff into the room
There's one smoking a joint and
Another with spots
If I had my way I'd have all of you shot

For "Jewish" they put a big Star of David on the screen. For "coon" they put an indistinguishable picture of what appeared to be Alfred E. Newman up there. If they're so afraid of potentially offending someone, why are they even treading there, or furthermore why are they doing a Pink Floyd Show? I didn't see the rest because I turned away in disgust to have a smoke.

After a few more lifeless songs with PC images, they started into "Goodbye Cruel World" and I perked up. I was trying to figure out how they were going to turn a fairly thoughtful song into inane, soulless Britney Spears-style blather. At the end, the artistically inept guy running the show goes "Holy Guacamole, Chicago, he's outta here" which made me laugh out loud. Only I was laughing at him, not with him.

Last was "Run Like Hell" - a song that conjures images of violence. In The Wall it's set to hostile rebellion, scenes of mob violence and rape running through the decayed mind of a shattered and fragile man. I just thought "this should be good". They showed a laser-picture of a guy running down the street for the entire song.

It was incredible. I watched a Pink Floyd show having not experienced a single emotion the entire time - except for outrage in having spent $80 to stand in a crowded bar and watch a Nancy Reagan-approved version of Pink Floyd that made "Barney the Dinosaur" look edgey. That and maybe a bit of anxiety as I tried to figure out a way to cause $80 worth of damage on my way out.

I found out today they charged us $8 for drinking a bottle of water in our room. The room was about 120 degrees when we walked in and there was a bottle of water on the desk. They said it was clearly marked that it cost $8 even though it was sitting on the desk and not in the mini-bar - yeah right. Lots of sane people willingly pay $8 for a quart of water.

I just thought I'd give the lousy place as much bad PR as I could.

You know, I'm really sorry about your experience, but your story is funny as hell!

How does an 8 dollar bottle of water taste anyway?

ClamKnuckle said:
You know, I'm really sorry about your experience, but your story is funny as hell!

Not bad I guess. We did refill it several times from the sink. By my calculations, if we had filled it about 9,000 more times we would have broken even on that $8.

Clown Monarch said:
ClamKnuckle said:

Not bad I guess. We did refill it several times from the sink. By my calculations, if we had filled it about 9,000 more times we would have broken even on that $8.

yeah, but they would have probably charged you another $45.00 bucks for going over your water allowance.
Kinda like that sprint(I think) commercial and the kid with the macaroni minutes??
It really stinks that you got jipped,
America is so afraid of not offending anyone. In all reality the people they are afraid of offending most of the time dont really care in the first place.

Yeah, the House of Blues here in New Orleans is about the same, I've went twice and the sound is terrible, the prices are ridiculous and they limit the bands to 90 minute sets. It's terrible, the cheapest beer was $10 for 12 ounce cans, Cokes were $6 for the 12 ounce cans, the tickets were ridiculous. Just terrible.

Back in the day I used to go to Pink Floyd laser light shows at the Science Center in DSM. Those were great to see. It was a dome room with surround sound. And I think it was only 12 dollars for two people.

Clown Monarch, Kinda off topic, but have you heard Korns version of another brick in the wall?
Im not a fan of Korn, but I think they did a really good job. and Im a person that HATES remixes. but I cant think of any other group that would be more qualified then Korn to do that song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom