Housing Female Bettas: Multiple Choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoseidonCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm curious about whether this issue has been settled yet, last time I looked into it (a few years ago) the opinions were mixed. In your experience what is the best way to keep FEMALE bettas? If more than one method works for you let us know. Please also give the reasons why, your info will be much appreciated, thanks.

A. as solitary individuals their entire lives

B. in a community tank with compatible species, but without other female bettas

c. in a species only tank with compatible female bettas

D. in a community tank with compatible species AND other female bettas

E. none of the above

B or a would be the best choice. They can be kept with other female bettas, but they still fight and peck at each other. Most betta sororities are doomed to failure because of that.

I figured that, some of the new female varieties have fins longer than the males did in our childhoods, those are some tough ladies!

A & B have had the widest success rates from what I've heard. I can't recall ever hearing anyone trying scenario D in anything other than a large tank, and scenario C usually results in short term successes only.

I would say that C & D are entirely dependent on the betta personalities, tank size, and decor layout. Can they be done? Sure, but you better have back-up plans in case things fall apart, or you'll end up with dead bettas.

I tend to agree with the others. I keep several female bettas, but they are in a 55 gallon tank. I had a sorority of bettas only in a 20 gallon, and they all got along great, but if you happen to get one individual that is a bully, the stuff can hit the fan. Every betta is an individual, and some can be nasty, while most of mine (and I said MOST) have been peaceful and gentle, I've had a coupe who were snippy. In the 55 gallon they can escape each other, but in a smaller tank, that's not as possible, and the smaller the tank, the bigger your chances of having problems. My bettas stay in the fake floating bamboo a lot of the time, and that is why I'm successful in keeping them in a community tank. The big fish don't generally go into the floating stuff, so the bettas can be fed more or less apart from the others.

Back
Top Bottom