How about a stocking critique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just curious what peoples thoughts were about my stock list. (just a critique, not a bashing!)
In a 55g -
1 clown loach
1 Angelicus botia
1 peacock eel
2 angelfish
2 MM platys
2 fancy guppies
3 swordtails
2 neons, 3 cardinals
1 Amano shrimp(I think somewhere)
1 ghost shrimp(maybe, I think the others were lunch)

Was thinking about upping the cardinals just for kicks but was worried about bio load/space.

Any thoughts/praise/suggestions?
Please leave out that the clown loach is a shoaling fish, trust me he's perfectly fine, and a little piggy.

Attachments

• image-335264908.jpg
    image-335264908.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 117
Sounds good but the clown loach will be needing a 125 gal tank sooner or later. I would use the clown loach as an excuse to get a bigger tank!
I would up both the neons and cardinals o six each, except the neons may be an angel snack

I don't have personal experience with any of the other fish, but Angelicus loaches are much happier in groups of at least 3. The more you have, the more bold and playful they are. You're unlikely to see their natural behavior with just one, although having the clown loach might encourage it a little.

I would up the amounts of neons and cardinals. Actually I would skip the neons and cardinals all together because they are just too fragile for their own good. As previously stated the Clown Loach will need a larger space and they prefer to be in groups from what I remember reading.

Thanks for your opinions! The CL is only about 4 inches now so he's good and completely happy, he knows he's the tank favorite, and the Angelicus (about 2in) I just got and might get a zebra loach or something later but for the time being he likes to hang out with the CL half the time and the other half he's flying around the tank and exploring everything. I'm not being stubborn or anything, I just know that they're both happy right now, and as far as the behaving naturally part, I've done a ton of reading and watched a bunch of videos of CL and other loaches in groups and mine acts no different. I will be adding more cardinals though I think, just to have a bigger school and so that my neons will be harder for my angels to pick out, my two neons are troopers and they school with the cards so I'm not worried. Thanks again guys, any other thoughts?

Sounds like you're doing something right then. :)

Back
Top Bottom