How Cold Can Plants Get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I live in CO and the nights are getting cold. I've ordered some aquatic plants online and I'm afraid if they're in the mailbox overnight they may freeze and die. I've never bought mail order plants before. Are they typically packaged well enough to prevent freezing?

I live in a rural area and my mail carrier comes whenever she wants to. :ermm:

Thanks-D

when you get them let them float in your tank for a day or two to revive them , then plant

I live in CO and the nights are getting cold. I've ordered some aquatic plants online and I'm afraid if they're in the mailbox overnight they may freeze and die. I've never bought mail order plants before. Are they typically packaged well enough to prevent freezing?

I live in a rural area and my mail carrier comes whenever she wants to. :ermm:

Thanks-D

A few things. You should be able to request that the sender ship in an insulated box. Plants should be sent insulated anyhow since it keeps their temp more stable and they handle shipping much better. As to how the company packages them, most just throw them in a box with some newspaper, but there are a few good ones that will take the time to insulate their packages.

Now for the good news. Plants typically do much better in cooler temps shipping-wise than they do in the heat, so it's less of an issue with cooler weather shipping, and as long as they don't freeze solid they should be just fine.

just some good advice by from jetta jocky next time and u will have no worries

A few things. You should be able to request that the sender ship in an insulated box. Plants should be sent insulated anyhow since it keeps their temp more stable and they handle shipping much better. As to how the company packages them, most just throw them in a box with some newspaper, but there are a few good ones that will take the time to insulate their packages.

Now for the good news. Plants typically do much better in cooler temps shipping-wise than they do in the heat, so it's less of an issue with cooler weather shipping, and as long as they don't freeze solid they should be just fine.

Thanks. I got them from Peabody's. I had been looking for corkscrew vals and they had some. Anyone familiar with that vendor?

I can't help but giggle at this a little... ^^^

Ha, ha-very funny :ROFLMAO: Thanks for letting me know!
Now I know who to complain to if my plants are frozen! Just kiddding!!

I'm sure I'll be very happy with the order and it's nice to buy from someone from this website.
D

Thanks! I'm looking forward to receiving my order (from you :)). I'll keep you posted and try to show you a picture once they're planted.

Hello Dream...

Don't worry about ordering plants in the winter. It's actually preferable to getting them in the summer. If you order from a good souce, they pack the plants well and include a type of heated package to keep the plants warmer.

If you can, have the plants shipped to your place of business. This way, the package doesn't sit out in the elements and there's someone to accept it. The local UPS, Fed Ex and USPS always deliver to businesses first and then to residences. You'll get your package a lot sooner.

Just a suggestion.

B

I recd a plant order in January and the temps was in the teens (F). I was home waiting for the order. It went out for delivery around 6 AM (place is about five miles from my house). Delivered around 1 PM. Even though the package was cold (probably from sitting in an unheated section of the truck for 7 hours) the plants were fine.

Back
Top Bottom