How did I kill so many shrimp so fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard that copper can soak into the sealant of your tank and slowly leach out. It could be the cause of your issues and certainly spells trouble for any inverts. I'd suspect copper over chlorine since fish in the same tank appear completely unaffected.

You can purchase an API copper liquid testing kit and it measures down to 0.25 PPM copper. This test kit can be had for $6-10 online, I haven't seen it at any lfs around me tho.

Wow, when I try to read about copper and tanks and absorption (or adsorption) it's incredibly how many conflicting opinions, and how little science, there appears to be out there on the subject. Several sites (with fair credibility) call it (specifically remaining and leaching) a myth, several agree with it.

I find it hard to believe that many fillings later it could leach more copper than the average person keeping shrimp gets from tap water, considering most houses still use copper?

I know what you mean... my house is partially copper-piped. I've tested both at the tap and in the tanks and found no trace of copper whatsoever. I will say though that I've never used any copper based medication in my tanks, so I can't relate any experience there. I brought it up just so you can test and rule it in or out. You've tested all the other parameters I can think of that would selectively kill only inverts.

I've heard that story that using copper meds in a tank means you can't ever keep inverts in that tank again, but I'm not at all sure it makes sense. I wonder if it comes from the fact that some meds will stain the silicone pretty badly. It's just a dye, and it won't leach out afterward, but Meth blue and Malachite green both cause permanent, dark staining on silicone. Some treatments contain one or both of these, along with other things. The staining looks dark greenish, which is pretty much the same colour as copper compounds.

It's just a thought. I resealed l a tank I got dirt cheap, that had this staining. It was still watertight, but it looked awful. I resealed because it was something I thought I ought to know how to do and to make it look nicer.

I doubt copper sulphate soaks into silicone, or into most rocks. Maybe it would linger in very porous rock, maybe lava rocks ? And it may stain some things. I don't know for sure, I've never used any. But it sure won't soak into glass. So if you did use it, and then changed the filter media, and did multiple water changes, I don't really see how it could still be in the water. And most homes have copper piping. Even old ones have for the most part been upgraded because of the worry from lead in pipe solder, so if copper from pipes was a problem, most of us would have trouble keeping shrimp in tap water.

But it's true that copper is one thing to which inverts are particularly sensitive, but it's not the only thing. They're sensitive to a number of things, including salt. That's why salt works on Ich infestations, because Ich are inverts too. Since they're more sensitive to salt than fish, the right levels of salt will kill the Ich well before the salt is likely to harm the fish.

And for that matter, Ghost shrimp are caught commercially by the millions as fish food and shipped all over the place. They are not handled with any particular care either. I could ask my lfs if they have an idea what the average DOA rate is on a shipment, there a couple guys there who might tell me. But they don't always have them, it seems they are not as plentiful as they used to be, or maybe the suppliers just don't bother to keep them in stock all the time. But when they have them, they certainly are doing fine in our local tap water and I have kept them myself in our local tap water too. I've bred them successfully in our tap water, for that matter. It's fairly hard, comes from Lake Ontario, and treated with chlorine and ammonia, hence it has chloramines in it too. Good 'ol Prime takes care of that.

Wish I had a definitive answer for you.

Wish I had a definitive answer for you.

Thanks. I was solely tempted yesterday to put one of my huge ghost shrimp from my smaller regular tank into the QT. She was ready to drop her larvae any moment, and they all disappear in the regular tank. But I wasn't ready to loose another.

I just don't believe it is copper, there's no sign of any discoloration i the silicon to indicate the two ich treatments were involved.

But I do think there's enough reason to think something was wrong with that tank that as soon as this cycle with the fish is done I'm going to give it a thorough cleaning and start over with fresh everything.

I'm really surprised, the little fish that were hitchhikers with the shrimp are all looking healthy, and eating. These itty bitty tiny killifish can eat bloodworms. The little flag fish is happy to pick through crap on the bottom. The molly-like things - no idea. But I'm going to give it a few weeks and if they survive I think I'll put them into the big tank, where they will either cope, or become congo-tetra food. Apparently whatever kills shrimp they are all immune. I expected them to die quickly just from lack of their normal food.

I lost a tank full of snails and cherry shrimp a few months back. Fish were doing fine. Then I notice that my thermometer was busted. So assumed something from that leached some metals that killed my inverts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fwiw, when I discovered I had pregnant Ghost shrimp, and they were my first shrimp ever, I wanted to raise the babies. Soon learned they had larvae, and determined to attempt raising them anyway. I set up a 5G tank, brand new, with moonsand substrate, a big chunk of wood and lots of plants. Mainly java fern and moss, with several frogbits floating. I netted the pregnant shrimp when the eggs had descended to the point it looked like they were about to fall off, and put them in the 5G. There were several shrimp who were pregnant, they all went in. I didn't take them out after I saw the eggs were gone, and I was never able to see any larvae.

But four days after the first shrimp appeared eggless, I came home to find tiny shrimplets floating at the surface. Very tiny and they didn't move. You could see the bent backs, a suggestion of the legs and their eyes. When I turned out the lights, they sank out of sight, almost as though they were sliding down a spider's web line. When I turned the lights back on in the morning, they rose up in the same straight lines, and they did this for a few days.

I fed them microworms, having nothing else to offer. For that first try, I didn't feed the larvae anything, as I didn't have anything but there were still quite a few shrimplets. For later broods, I had Golden Pearls 5-50 microns and cultured liquid algae, nannochloropsus, cultured in FW of course. I'd fire about 100 mlx of algae into the tank twice a day for the larvae after I noticed the eggs had been dropped. I used a double sponge filter and I did water changes by putting an air line into the uplift tube of the sponge filter, so I wouldn't suck up any shrimp or larvae.

After a few days, and I wish I'd kept daily records but I didn't, sorry, I noticed the shrimp were starting to move in directions other than up and down.I also noticed tiny moulted shells floating around. First thought they were dead shrimp, but not so. When I first fed microworms, and one came close enough to a floating baby, it would grab it. You could see the little backs bend and jerk when they reached for a food item.

Once they started moving, it didn't take them long to find the bottom and they grazed on every surface. This first batch were fed microworm a few times weekly, and nothing else. They seemed to be doing fine on biofilm and the sponge filter. In an older tank I'm sure they'd have grazed the glass too, but all the plants and wood and sponge came from established tanks and were well supplied with biofilm. Oh, yeah, they also grazed the roots of the frogbit.

I kept the temperature at about 73-74, with lighting 12/12. Not all survived, by any means, but I raised at least a couple of dozen to adulthood that first time and they in turn had babies of their own. I started taking the Mom's out after they dropped their eggs as it appeared they might be eating the babies, which was probably not so surprising. Taking out the Mom's upped the survival rates.

I later had quite a few survive to adulthood in my 30 G community tank, which had other shrimp species, danios, cories & kuhli loaches, all of whom might have been expected to dine on the larvae and babies. The other shrimp were Bamboos and Snowballs, [the white cherry shrimp], and the Snowballs also had lots of babies who survived in the community tank.

Assuming you can solve whatever caused these deaths, if you get more pregnant shrimp, raising babies is not that difficult to do. It's just not quite as easy as it is with high order shrimp like cherries who don't have a larval stage.

Back
Top Bottom