How do i get my bettas to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TWEDM1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Some say it easy some say it's hard? My question is what's more important a male and female that are mature and ready to mate each other or good water conditions?

Well, if the male and female are not mature, no breeding will happen. If the water conditions are poor, the male probably won't be happy and won't make a bubblenest. I guess that mature/ready bettas are more important, but that doesn't mean good water conditions are not important.

I just looked he built a bubble nest on the styrofoam cup she looks unimpressed with him tho even before he built the nest.

The one before her that he killed was open she was trying breed ASAP but my setup was disturbed...

Should I buy a new female or will he win her over

EMD1 said:
I just looked he built a bubble nest on the styrofoam cup she looks unimpressed with him tho even before he built the nest.

The one before her that he killed was open she was trying breed ASAP but my setup was disturbed...

Should I buy a new female or will he win her over

Some people would go out and buy a new female. They would return the other one but then you have to wait till she is mature again.

Some say it easy some say it's hard? My question is what's more important a male and female that are mature and ready to mate each other or good water conditions?

There's more to it than just sticking them in the same tank and hoping they spawn.

You have to condition them with the right food. Your timing for placing her in his tank has to be right.

You have to watch them like a hawk and remove her at a certain time.

I suggest you do a whole lot of reading up on it.

How did you determine it was time to put the female in with him and where do you keep her usually?

She loved him when they were adrift in floating breeders in my 29 gallon. She jumped out and after being victimized by my cichlids her entire tail is gone. So it's like she is insecure now she won't even fan up and show off for him anymore

She's not in breeding condition if she's been ripped apart. You normally keep her in that tank with cichlids?

LyndaB said:
There's more to it than just sticking them in the same tank and hoping they spawn.

You have to condition them with the right food. Your timing for placing her in his tank has to be right.

You have to watch them like a hawk and remove her at a certain time.

I suggest you do a whole lot of reading up on it.

How did you determine it was time to put the female in with him and where do you keep her usually?

They were familiar with each other I've let them see each other over a month ago and every day sense. I moved my boy lets call him red out of the tank into a 2 gallon tank just him a water heater a styrofoam cup and a glass cup with the girl in it. She hides from him when I watch or she ignores him. I go outside to twist something up and when I come back she got out her glass cup and into the tank with him and he built a bubble nest in a 10 min span is it me watching they don't like or the lighting do they miss the airated water currents from my 29 gallon or what?

I guess if you've done this before I need to know step by step what you did to see if I'm on the write track. I can read on it forever but I'd like someone with hands on exp to inform me directly

LyndaB said:
She's not in breeding condition if she's been ripped apart. You normally keep her in that tank with cichlids?

Yea but in a floating clear breeder she doesnt free roam in that tank... She jumped out in her own and it's hard catching a betta in a deep cavey planted tank. But she definately is damaged and battered

I would suggest you get yourself a 10 gallon quarantine tank and get her in there to bring her back to optimum health. Spawning is a rigorous time for the bettas and frankly, she's not up to it.

Your two gallon tank is not appropriate for spawning and then utilizing it as a grow out tank. You need at least a 10 gallon tank for that.

To be blunt, I don't think you've thought this out enough. You don't have the proper equipment and you have a female that is not healthy.

Successfully spawning is not necessarily hard, but a ton of research and planning goes into it. It's a lot of work if you do it right. Yes, I've done it, but it can't be explained that easily. Even the step by step process would probably crash this thread.

http://www.cbsbettas.org/doc/articles/Tips_on_Spawning_Bettas.htm

Happy Reading!

I have to agree with LyndaB on this. There are some other threads on here even about people who bred bettas or considered doing it. You can use the search function on the top bar to look for other things. We can of course answer questions too. :)
So, the male doesn't live permanently in the 2g, right? You float him in the his own breeder trap in the larger cichlid tank normally?
It does sound your female isn't ready. Does she still have the ripped tail?
Do you have a way to deal with all the fry if your pair does spawn?

Back
Top Bottom