How Do I Handle Overly Amorous Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarylF2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 38 gallon tank that is doing beautifully. Unfortunately, my Corydoras catfish are breeding like mad...

I start with 3 fish: 1 female and 2 males. Now, in addition to those, I have 14-20 babies ranging from very small to nearly adult. My female is laying eggs about once a week, nearly every week. She laid eggs TWICE this past weekend, on Saturday and again on Sunday, for a total of probably 60-80 eggs...

Any idea how to handle this? I can't find anyone to give the babies to, and my local pet store can't take them. I only have the one tank, so separating males from females isn't practical. Plus, my tank is fairly heavily planted so getting the fish out is pretty difficult. Should I just scrape off the eggs and discard them as soon as I see them? That just seems awful, but an overcrowded tank would be worse...

EDIT: a link to some pictures of my tank is here.

Mine laid eggs for 3 months straight. Then they stopped. Why, I have no clue but they just stopped. I now have 12 remaining from that episode. I simply started leaving the eggs in the tank and the corys ate them.

I've left ALL of my Cory's eggs in the tank. I haven't done anything special at all to protect the eggs, but the tank has enough plants and such that 2-4 fry seem to be surviving from each batch. That adds up quickly! And now, the first youngsters are nearly adults... 8O

This is never a problem I'd thought I'd have, but I have too many baby fish surviving...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom