How do I keep them fed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have around 9 red cherry shrimp in a small tank some are babies but I was wondering how to keep them all fed. I have only just moved them to a tank without fish in so before they just ate algae and fish waste. Can anybody suggest a way of feeding small baby shrimp or something I can buy in the uk?

I have around 9 red cherry shrimp in a small tank some are babies but I was wondering how to keep them all fed. I have only just moved them to a tank without fish in so before they just ate algae and fish waste. Can anybody suggest a way of feeding small baby shrimp or something I can buy in the uk?
They are not that difficult. You can just crunch up fish food flakes and rub them just under the water surface so they will sink or drop in an algae tab or two.

You can buy food that's made for shrimp at most petstores

Ok thanks everyone I think you can buy shrimp food in uk pet shops but can I just use tropical micro pellets that I already have?

Ok thanks everyone I think you can buy shrimp food in uk pet shops but can I just use tropical micro pellets that I already have?
Yes. Even the baby shrimp can pull off little bits with their tiny feeding claws once they soften in the.water. If they're very hard, you can soften them in a little aquarium water for 5 minutes before you pour them in.

Too much protein in regular foods. You technically don't have to feed them at all. The eat decaying plant matter, algae and biofilm. But, if you are going to feed make sure the food is mostly veggie based, not protein based.

Yes. Even the baby shrimp can pull off little bits with their tiny feeding claws once they soften in the.water. If they're very hard, you can soften them in a little aquarium water for 5 minutes before you pour them in.
You could even blanch (slightly boil) a spinach leaf so it will sink and be softer, but you can't leave it in the tank for more than 24 hours. It would have to be taken out the next day and replaced. But they do eat softened fish food. And as another person posted, they will eat microfilm pf protozoa that grows on the bottom. And if you haven't already done so, plant them a small patch of any species you can find of moss. If your tank is bare bottom or if you have a problem with it staying put, just place a small rock on it. Shrimp love picking food particles out of moss.

Back
Top Bottom