How do I know if I would like cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

underwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read they have more personality than most fish, right? It tends to bother me seeing fish pick on other fish, so does that mean I should avoid cichlids? Some of them seem more colorful, which is very good in my book.

I definitely don't want big/medium fish so I would stick with the smaller dwarf types.

I believe cichlids eat more expensive food and maybe more volume? I know they aren't compatible with a lot of fish, but there are still enough potential tankmates I believe. Also I know each male would want its own little cave space.

What else should I consider when deciding if I should get cichlids or go with another type? (I am still a newbie but I believe the other possible main types would be: goldfish, saltwater, reef, brackish, community, semi-aggressive, and ones focusing on plants or inverts... are there more types?)

I am somewhat interested in trying to breed SOME type of fish, so maybe I should try with cichlids. I know they are a bit more difficult, but... that is something else I am curious about and don't know if this should be a reason why I should go with cichlids.

Thanks.

the answer is yes and no. the problem is cichlids is a very large group of fish. its hard to answer something so board.

many cichlids are aggressive but not all. some are very territorial.

they dont really eat more expensive food. all fish should be fed high quality food.

there are so many different types of set ups out there. i know endless amounts of freshwater and i am sure there is that many sw too.

some cichlids are super easy to breed like cons. people say add cons shack bag remove fry. they can breed faster then guppies. again since its a big group of fish its hard to say this or that about them.

look up apistogramma's. they're relatively peaceful, colorful, and fairly easy fish to keep. checkerboard cichlids are good too. another one of my favorites are rams.

How would you know if you like cichlids? Tap on the glass and see if they like you? haha
Yeah im looking into getting some kribensis or GBRs right now, but ive also heard great things about apistogrammas and convicts too. There are tons of species so look around, do your research, and see how it works for ya! Ive heard good things about keeping them and cichlid tanks look great

I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago. I just got ten yellow lab cichlids. I love them they're so colorful. The main reason cichlids are so aggressive is because in the wild they need to claim areas for grazing on algae so they get enough food. To limit aggression give them about 3 SMALL VEGETABLE meals a day with a little bit of protein in they're diet. If you give them meaty foods that are made of fish meal etc. they can contract Malawi bloat which is usually fatal. So my answer is yes get cichlids. Limit aggressive with frequent but small meals. You should also start with less aggressive cichlids such as yellow labs. Or just try any Lab cichlid they're usually all quite peaceful. Getting cichlids is not something you'll regret. Good Luck. :D

Are there any that stay small and can be kept in a community tank? Would be a big tank with plenty of hiding spots / territories to claim.

how small? apistos like timwag said. there are kribs rams angels and more.

Um well african cichlids are best kept in a Malawi biotope and wouldn't interact well with other fish. I know some South American cichlids such as Ramirez or Bolivian rams are okay in community set ups and may even spawn!!!! But cichlids are sensitive to water conditions so it would be best to get the water to their standards and find other fish that could live with them. I highly recommend a Amazon biotope if you want cichlids with other fish. They're beautiful set ups and surprisingly easy for a beginner. You should look into it. :D

Back
Top Bottom