How do I preserve bacteria during a tank move?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ringoffire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am picking up a 55g established and cycled tank tonight. I will not be able to set the tank up till in the morning. The filter is not coming with the tank, only some of the decor from in the tank. I know it's possible that some bb live on the ornaments and such. Should I try to preserve the bacteria that is living on it during transport? Possibly just put them in a 5gallon bucket with treated water?
Also the tank previously housed gold fish but it will be freshwater tropical. Should I even try to preserve the bacteria to jump start the cycle or do I just clean everything and start a brand new cycle? It's coming from my sister so I'm not too worried about disease and such. Plus it will be fish less cycled till I move my few fish over to it. Problem is I still don't have a seeded filter to put on it as I am still fish-in cycling my 10 gallon tank. A brand new filter will be going on the 55g now, then once the 10g filter is cycled it will be moved over as well.

So the questions are:
Should I try to preserve the bacteria from a goldfish tank to a freshwater tank or clean everything and start fresh?
And if so what do you suggest as the best way to preserve them overnight?

All you need is a bucket of dechlorinated water to put them in. Dry bacteria is dead bacteria but wet bacteria with access to oxygen will live for a long time without fish. Weeks. Overnight is no biggie. If it's very cold where you live, take care not to leave them outside. They don't like to freeze either.

BB from a goldfish tank is fine to jump start your new tank. If you know your sister's fish weren't ill recently, it should be fine to reuse decorations.

Back
Top Bottom