how do u start hospital tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JVS__RAMBO

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a yellow tang that I think has black ick (yellow tang disease). I want to quarintine him but I don't have a tank setup and I am not sure how to set one up. I have been reading about it, but I am not sure how I get the tank the same conditions as mine quick.. Do I use my water? What about filtration? A lot of questions so little time.

use water from a pwc. for filtration a large hob or 2 use established filter media if possible or it will cycle a the fish doesn't need any more stress. throw in a heater. i use a 30 g tank for qt but a large rubbermaid container will work.

where do I get the established filter media from. I never did this before so I'm not to sure how this all works. What kind of hang on the back filter should I get also. I am probably going to use a rubbermaid container. Also how do u get it to stay on the rubbermaid container.

you could hang the filter on the back of your aquarium for a few days then transfer it to the QT tank

do you have any filter media being used in your DT,if sso transfer that to the qt.If you need to use the qt straight away then keep doing small but often pwc to keep any amm and trites down.You could even put some lr from your dt to help cycle the qt quicker.

i jut ans the same question on a dif thread lol
To set up a QT/hospital tank here's what i do i run two HOB's on my DT The smaller one is used for the QT it's kept filled with poly-fill so it can hold a good sized Bacti-base fill the QT with water from the main tank put the small hob on, put some pieces of PVC in so the fish have place to hide as this will help lower stress,
run the QT bare bottomed easy to clean later. you will get a small AMO spike after 2-3 days so be ready to change a little water.
After your done with the QT clean everything with vinegar and fresh water Toss the old ploy-fill repack the HOB and put it back on the main tank to ready it for the next time.
this method has worked for the past 11 years for me with no problems. oh get the poly-fill from a craft store much less costly A big bag cost 5-6 bucks and last yrs. One more thing (sry) If you keep the QT full it wont be long before it becomes a Display tank lol

If you use any live rock to start the cycle remove it before you dose with meds or you have to toss it.or use it in FOWLR copper will seep into the rock and leach back out later causing problems

Back
Top Bottom