How do you compare canister filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malfist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking about purchasing a new tank, somewhere between 100-150 gallons. I need a bigger home for my balas and clown loaches.

How can I select a proper canister filter?

I'm looking at the Reaction 4-stage canister filter, and it says it's 250 gph canister can support a 150 gallon tank, but looking at the FilStar XP filter, it's 300gph is rated for only 75 gallons, and the Fuval 406 which is 383 gph but only supports a 100 gallon tank.

Why are there such discrepancies? Which filter will get me the best bang for the buck? Which filter should I use?

The important thing to look at is really gph, not necessarily how many gallons it is rated for

A lot of the advertised flow rates are exaggerated I feel too. I'd disregard the posted gallon rating and go with one that has more than enough turnover for the tank you choose.

A lot of the advertised flow rates are exaggerated I feel too. I'd disregard the posted gallon rating and go with one that has more than enough turnover for the tank you choose.

How would I determine the turnover of a filter, and how much I need?

Over filtration is never a bad thing. Due to how big your fish can potentially get they are going to have a pretty big bioload. If I were you I would get the fluval 406 (haven't heard anything negative about it) for now and then eventually invest in a solid hang on back filter like the Aquaclear 110.

I think most people try to get a flow rate of 4-5x their tank volume

I run the 406 on my 75g. I would suggest the fx5 or two 406s on a 150g.

Back
Top Bottom