How do you do a proper water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I consider myself a newbie, and I hear you should change your tanks water once in awhile, but I have never really done one, since I just let the filter clean the water. Well I am now resetting up my small 5gallon fresh water tank and would like to know how to properly do a water change and how often I should do it? Also, if any equipment is needed.

Best,
Brandon

I use a jub for my smaller tanks and put it into a bucket and when i wont to get the stuff off the bottom then i just stir the bottom up and ladel water out with the gunk on it. The out the water back into the tank with some dechlorinator and at the same temperature slowly add the water with the jub back into it

after tank has cycled, get a gravel vac(syphion) and suck the food/poop out of it, then replace water. usually10-50% of water once a week or month, depends how dirty, or clean you need it. ammonia should stay 0 after cycle, nitrates above 40ppm are a good sign to do a water change. look into getting dechlorinaters if doing bigger water changes.

PWCs should be part of your regular tank maintenance. A good filter keeps the water clear and removes ammonia and nitrites. However, it doesn't do anything about the nitrates. That's where PWCs come in. Read up on "Old Tank Syndrome". I do 20%-50% water changes pretty much every week.

It's pretty simple:

1. Remove the old water from the tank with a gavel vac. A python is nice for bigger or multiple tanks.

2. Add the proper amount of dechlorinator to the tank. Dechlorinator really isn't optional. There are a lot of things added to tap water that your fish don't like. A good dechlorinator removes them.

3. Match the temperature of the tap to the tank temperature. I use a digital instant-read meat thermometer to measure the temperature and I usually aim to add water that's a few degrees cooler than the tank water to simulate rainfall.

4. Fill the tank. Don't pour the untreated tap water into the filter. Add it straight to the tank.

I consider myself a newbie, and I hear you should change your tanks water once in awhile, but I have never really done one, since I just let the filter clean the water. Well I am now resetting up my small 5gallon fresh water tank and would like to know how to properly do a water change and how often I should do it? Also, if any equipment is needed.

Best,
Brandon

Aquarium Advice search feature and Google is your best friend. Or, in this case, BigJim.

Thanks for all the info guys!! This really helps me! Especially thanks to Jim lol. I will have to pick up some stuff. I do already have and used the de-chlorinator. I got a lot to learn about this hobby lol.

if useing tap water, then yes.it also takes out heavy metals that are harmful, so yes but when doing small evaporation refills i dont bother, but its up to you

Back
Top Bottom