how does this tank sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i got an offer for a 115 gallon octagon aquarium for 175, w/a fluval 303, but i couldnt find such thing as fluval 303...is there such thing? I'm thinkin of putting an aquaclear 500 on it as well. would this be nessesary? I"m only looking to set up as probably fish only w/no live rock at first, and eventually get some live rock, and long way down the road some nice lighting and corals.
let me know if i left anything out
thanks
mike

Hagen relabeled all thier products a little while ago, the Aquaclear line was also renumbered.

Here's Hagen's manual page for Fluvial 303: http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/manuals/fluve01.cfm

If you want to go for corals, you might be better off investing in a skimmer instead of an aquaclear. The Fluvial should be plenty of circulation/filtration for fish only.

couple more things...
if i get mostly lace rock, and a little bit of live rock, will it eventually turn the lace rock into live rock? and will the liverock eventually do the same for sand?
also, is it true that you only need a protein skimmer if you have live rock and/or corals? LFS said this and i was kinda wondering if he knew what he was talking about but i dont know...
thanks

A protien skimmer, with live rock and supplimental circulation, can replace a normal filter. If you're not getting live rock right away, you do want a more traditional filter for the bacterial colonization space.

For a fish only tank, you don't really need the skimmer. Sorry, I forgot to account that you were not getting your live rock at first.

Sounds like you have a decent LFS! They actually told you not to buy something! (Or were they trying to sell you a more expensive product in it's stead?)

no he wasnt trying to sell me somethin else for once, lol.
but will live rock turn lace rock into live after a while? and same w/sand?
thanks

Live rock organisms will spread to the lace rock. Bacteria will spread to the sand, and make it nominally "live" but high quality live sand also has a large varieity of sand-dwelling detrivores and pods in it. (Not the stuff prepackaged in plastic bags, the stuff you order from live rock sellers, that's kept in holding tanks until it's shipped to you.) You can do the same thing with sand as with rock, get mostly dead sand, and put a small amount of high quality live sand on top. Even just a cup of live sand from an established aquarium is enough to start some interesting life in it.

Back
Top Bottom