How effective are "biological additives"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Staples McJesus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm about to cycle my new 25g aquarium. I'd like to do it quicky and without live fish, so I'm looking at either ammonia dosing, or trying one of those products that claim to contain the beneficial bacteria I need. I've heard good things about Bio Spira, but I can't seem to find any where I live. I was wondering if I could cycle my tank instantly with a product like Stress Zyme, Kent Eco-Start, or Cycle.

Thanks

I've used Cycle before, and I can't say it did any harm. I have no evidence it helped though :(

My recommendation is, if you're going to use a product (btw BioSpira is supposed to be very good if you can get some somehow), have a backup too. I would suggest you ask for some filter media, gravel, etc. from anyone you know who keeps fish already if that's possible. If you add filter media to your filter or a handful of gravel from a cycled tank that already contains some bacteria then that will help.

You have to buy Bio Spira online, just go a google search and Im sure you will find some. As far of the other products, everything Ive heard as been hit or miss. I figure if you are going that route, to use the Bio Spira and not waste your money on any of the other products.

If you can't find any products you like, ammonia dosing will work just as well, but maybe not as fast =o)

Bio spira

Bio Spira works. I have used it successfully 5 times and many others here have had it work for them. BUT, it must be used correctly. It must be kept refrigerated and used according to the directions. Check with your local fish stores. More are carrying it. Just remember to shake the heck out of it before using and add it with the fish. The live bacteria need ammonia from the fish to live and will start to die quickly in an empty tank.

Good luck.

In my opinion, the effectiveness of biological additives is variable, based on what I've read. It worked for some people and did nothing for others. Personally I don't think its harmful if you do choose to try it.

I recently setup my first 40g tank and added a total of 15 fish during my first month. I noticed that the ammonia levels were skyrocketing, so I purchased Cycle to help cycle my tank. I'm hoping this will reduce ammonia and nitrite levels and keep my fish as healthy as possible. I also do two 10-15% changes weekly. I've only been using it for one week so I don't know how well it is working. I'll keep you updated on my progress if you want.

But I agree with coldmachine that one good way is to get gravel or filter media from a cycled tank. I don't think there's any way to cycle your tank instantly though. It simply take time for the different types of bacteria to grow, and the rate of their growth depends on temperature, amount of resources, etc. Thats all I gots to say, goodluck!

First,

GotanProject, you need to seriously read up on cycling and some basic theory on water changes. 10-15% water changes will do virtually nothing if you have high ammonia or nitrIte levels.

Now onto the OP's question. Other than Biospira, IMO, the other products are virtually worthless, UNLESS, there is a trace deficiency in the tank that is hindering the bacteria from multiplying. Things like phosphates, carbon source, fats, etc need to be provided in small amounts or you can stall a cycle. The problem with these products is that very few do a fishless cycle with these. Most people put fish in right away and the fish food and fish waste will provide MORE than enough of these for healthy growth.

So no, I personally don't see any reason to use any of those products.

I would recommend ammonia dosing, with the temperature of the tank at ~90F, lights off, good aeration (air pump or waterfall from HOB), and I'd add a very small amount of fish food (a flake or a shrimp pellet, etc). This will prevent the stalling that sometimes occurs in a fishless cycle due to the primary source of food being present (ammonia), but the bacteria unable to multiply due to other deficiencies.

Then I'd get as MUCH beneficial bacteria as possible from any source willing (or not :) ) to give it up. Filter media, gravel, plastic/live plants, glass scrapings (these are golden and often overlooked!), and to a lesser degree used tank water. One thing I have not tried yet at an LFS that refuses to give any of the above is to ask about some tank water. Just see if they will stir up the gravel first...You might be able to kick up some of the substrate or at least dislodge some of the bacteria into the water.

HTH,

justin

I'm an advocate of BioSpira also. The major reason it doesn't work for some people is that it was mishandled (warmed or frozen during transport, including the time it takes to get the product from the store to the home). I've used it twice and it has worked perfectly both times. I bring a cooler with a cold pack / ice block and wrap the package of BioSpira in a towel before placing it into the cooler.

I tried Cycle - it did nothing at all for me. I've not used any of the other products listed

BioSpira is the one product that gets the best results per my reading...but it itself is hit or miss.

What I get lost on,and not just this thread (or this one poster)...Is why would someone use it five times?Assuming there is an established tank in the house.... media transfer is the best way to bring a new tank around.
And it as far from hit or miss as it can get.

If the question is they hurt..no.Will they help...maybe.

Bio Spira is by far the best. And I also have used Stress Zyme successfully. Wasn't as fast as Bio Spira, but did cycle my 29G with no media from another tank in about 2 weeks.

SCFatz said:
BioSpira is the one product that gets the best results per my reading...but it itself is hit or miss.

What I get lost on,and not just this thread (or this one poster)...Is why would someone use it five times?Assuming there is an established tank in the house.... media transfer is the best way to bring a new tank around.
And it as far from hit or miss as it can get.

If the question is they hurt..no.Will they help...maybe.

Agreed. It's possible the tanks were all being setup at once (imagine your arms if one or more didn't work 8O), or helping someone setup a tank out of town, or having a tank crash from some additive/contamination. Or imagine you OWN a store and can profit from selling Biospira with EVERY new tank you sell.

I agree with you though that under normal circumstances once you have your first tank setup, you should never (unless going from a small tank to a really large tank) need any of these products.

I have a 20gallon running since Jan06, and recently started a 10gallon hospital tank since one of my barbs was getting nipped badly. I moved over a chunk of filter media, about 10lbs of sand, and 2 small java ferns. I detected nitrItes below 0.25 but above 0 for 2 days and that was it. No ammonia, no water changes needed. Had I had more fish in this tank I would have obviously moved more filter media or substrate over, but as it was I didn't need too.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I'm beginning to lean away from ammonia dosing. I'd like to avoid having my tank sit empty for another month.

I'll pick up some substrate from the fish store today, as well as some stress zyme, and a few hardy fish. The stuff must do something if it's managed to stay on the marked. I find it hard to believe that it's just snake oil.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again :D

Staples McJesus said:
The stuff must do something if it's managed to stay on the marked. I find it hard to believe that it's just snake oil.

Lol, sorry. There are plenty of products that do nothing that are on the market and have managed to stay on the market.

Biospira is the best by far. I've read of one person on this forum who it didn't work for, and usually that can be attributed to user error.

Stress Zyme does apparently work, I've seen multiple accounts of 2 week cycles with it.

Cycle does little to nothing. It generally takes about 1 week off of a 6 week cycle with fish.

I really hope you decide against cycling with fish. It's such a pain in the rear. You will be doing lots of water changes and lots of testing. Adding Stress Zyme and/or using some established filter media or gravel in your tank will significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to cycle.

It took me a month to fully cycle (adding ammonia with no gravel and no other addatives) and though it was frustrating towards the end, it was the best long term decision. I was able to decide exactly what I wanted to do with the tank, get exactly the fish I wanted, and do virtually no upkeep on the tank in the process. I also didn't get stuck with some "hardy fish" that I could care less about.

I did a 50% water change on Sunday when I noticed the ammonia spike. Since then I do 10-15% changes every two-three days. Why wouldn't that help? My plan is to do large (50%) water changes once a week in addition to two small (10-15%) changes. What do you guys think? Also, should I stop adding Cycle then and get Biospira instead? I want to keep my fish as healthy as possible with minimal water changes if possible.

FWIW, i do fairly well using Seachem Stability to cycle. about 2-3 week cycle

I used Bio-Spira the second time when my tank crashed from meds (Maracyn I plus Maracyn II). Another reason to use Bio-Spira instead of established media is when you're worried about cross contamination - I'm doing 2 20 gallon tanks as soon as my floors are refinished and plan on using Bio-Spira instead of media. I'm afraid of transferring algae LOL

JRagg said:
Staples McJesus said:
The stuff must do something if it's managed to stay on the marked. I find it hard to believe that it's just snake oil.

Lol, sorry. There are plenty of products that do nothing that are on the market and have managed to stay on the market.

Biospira is the best by far. I've read of one person on this forum who it didn't work for, and usually that can be attributed to user error.

Stress Zyme does apparently work, I've seen multiple accounts of 2 week cycles with it.

Cycle does little to nothing. It generally takes about 1 week off of a 6 week cycle with fish.

I really hope you decide against cycling with fish. It's such a pain in the rear. You will be doing lots of water changes and lots of testing. Adding Stress Zyme and/or using some established filter media or gravel in your tank will significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to cycle.

It took me a month to fully cycle (adding ammonia with no gravel and no other addatives) and though it was frustrating towards the end, it was the best long term decision. I was able to decide exactly what I wanted to do with the tank, get exactly the fish I wanted, and do virtually no upkeep on the tank in the process. I also didn't get stuck with some "hardy fish" that I could care less about.

I've also heard of people soaking their sponges for an hour or 2 in Stress Zyme and getting an almost instand cycle. I haven't done it myself, but as soon as I get my next 10G up and running, maybe this weekend, I'm going to try it, going fishless with a touch of ammonia. Nice thing about experimenting is you can find what works and what doesn't.

I'm half tempted to go buy an empty 10g and just practice cycling it to see what works. I've got an old filter that I could use to stir the water.

I'm interested in seeing how that works for you.

This probably predates a lot of our members but a similar discussion prompted some members to actually test samples of our favorite bio enhancers. The results were stunning. If you bear with me, I will dig it up out of the archives.

Jchillin said:
This probably predates a lot of our members but a similar discussion prompted some members to actually test samples of our favorite bio enhancers. The results were stunning. If you bear with me, I will dig it up out of the archives.

still waiting Jc. i would also like to see this.

Back
Top Bottom