How I change water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm performing a 30 gallon water change, which should be 60% but I think it was more. That is certainly fine, because snow is in the forecast and I'm prepping for a power outage. Did a thorough gravel vac and changed an extra 5 gallons above my wcs.

My stand is a little tall, so I use a pond pump to fill the tank instead of dumping buckets. Anyone else have a similar system?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1392170157290.jpg
    1392170157290.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 1392170208327.jpg
    1392170208327.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 93
I just suggested this to a friend who has a 40g that is taller than she is, and is in the middle of a fish-in cycle! Years ago I worked in a LFS and we used a power head with attached hose to do PWCs in all the tanks. Definitely made life easier! I wish they were still in business!

Yeah I would purchase a python if my tap water wasn't so acidic straight out the faucet.

I'm performing a 30 gallon water change, which should be 60% but I think it was more. That is certainly fine, because snow is in the forecast and I'm prepping for a power outage. Did a thorough gravel vac and changed an extra 5 gallons above my wcs.

My stand is a little tall, so I use a pond pump to fill the tank instead of dumping buckets. Anyone else have a similar system?

That's a good system! I got tired of doing the whole bucket thing. My dads a painter so he has lots of huge painting buckets that i would use. Once i started getting more tanks, i had to change something. When i do water changes now, i have a 55 foot hose and i put it out my window and into our personal drain in out driveway. I use my gravel cleaner and don't have to deal with the water! For filling the tank, i have another hose that i connect to my kitchen tap and fill my tanks that way! No buckets ever again! :) i just went to the plumbing store and they made up a fancy looking thing for my kitchen tap. It nice not having chlorine in my water, we are on a well. Sometimes the nitrate can go up a bit but its not the worst. Currently have 55g 29g 29g 10g and a 2g... also a 10g with a lizard! :p

That's a good system! I got tired of doing the whole bucket thing. My dads a painter so he has lots of huge painting buckets that i would use. Once i started getting more tanks, i had to change something. When i do water changes now, i have a 55 foot hose and i put it out my window and into our personal drain in out driveway. I use my gravel cleaner and don't have to deal with the water! For filling the tank, i have another hose that i connect to my kitchen tap and fill my tanks that way! No buckets ever again! :) i just went to the plumbing store and they made up a fancy looking thing for my kitchen tap. It nice not having chlorine in my water, we are on a well. Sometimes the nitrate can go up a bit but its not the worst. Currently have 55g 29g 29g 10g and a 2g... also a 10g with a lizard! :p

Yeah I'm trying to figure something out because I'll be getting a 75g by the end of the year and I'd like to come up with a faster way to change water. I'm on a well too, but my water out the tap bottoms out the PH measurement, so I think a couple of rain barrels and a stronger pump will be in order.

Back
Top Bottom