How important is it for Blue Lobster to Have a Cave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the most timid blue lobster you have ever seen. He spent the better part of 4 months hidden under a large piece of mopani driftwood, only poking his claws out once in a while to grab some dried shrimp.

I recently removed the driftwood and provided him with a cave to live in, but he managed to squeeze himself so compactly into a corner of the cave that we still never saw him.

I completely redid the ornamentation of the 75g tank and he now doesn't have a cave so he hides/burrows at the bases of the various tall, fake plants, but this morning I found him near the top of a 14" rock wall ornament.

He has never appeared to be a threat to any of the other inhabitants of the tank and generally seems kind of scared by most of them (5 rainbows, 5 angels, 4 yoyo loaches). Am I asking for trouble not giving him a dedicated place to hide?

I want to balance the fact that there's no point in having him if I never see him with the fact that I don't want him to start eating his tankmates.

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom