How is this possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishywishywowoo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So? I'm really careful with my pwc making sure to dechlorinate, match temp, rinse filter in old tank water. My friend on the other hand has two 9 year old goldfish. These are in a BOWL for a start! They about 4-5 inch each so quite big. She had them from babies. Now, she cleans them every 1-3 weeks by emptying the bowl, scrubbing pebbles and bowl in fairy liquid then refilling straight from the tap. How are these fish still alive and appear to be thriving?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Goldfish can be bulky little fellas. Probably got lucky and got ones with high tolerance for everything

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The biggest angel fish I've ever seen (by far) were in a tank that got zero WC's. The owner just added water when it evaporated. It did have a ton of algae though.

I'm not saying they were healthy, (all dead now) but they were massive. I got one as a rescue. I think some people are just lucky like that. I'm pretty sure that they were over-fed like crazy.

So? I'm really careful with my pwc making sure to dechlorinate, match temp, rinse filter in old tank water. My friend on the other hand has two 9 year old goldfish. These are in a BOWL for a start! They about 4-5 inch each so quite big. She had them from babies. Now, she cleans them every 1-3 weeks by emptying the bowl, scrubbing pebbles and bowl in fairy liquid then refilling straight from the tap. How are these fish still alive and appear to be thriving?

Imo they are not thriving at all. At that age I'd say they should be much larger. They are just tough to kill.

I used to do that when I first started and regularly lost a couple of fish each tank / filter clean. Not enough to be serious but a few. That was drain all water, hose out gravel, clean tank glass, replace filter media (filter wool / carbon), etc. I guess some bacteria survive in the gravel and the tank restarts.

Imo they are not thriving at all. At that age I'd say they should be much larger. They are just tough to kill.

I used to do that when I first started and regularly lost a couple of fish each tank / filter clean. Not enough to be serious but a few. That was drain all water, hose out gravel, clean tank glass, replace filter media (filter wool / carbon), etc. I guess some bacteria survive in the gravel and the tank restarts.
At that age they should be well over a foot.

I know what you mean. I have a friend with a 5 gallon I think, and a few platys. The food and gunk is so thick on the bottom it's hard to even look at the tank. I realize these fish can't possible be healthy or happy but it is frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom