How long are BB ok for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meloyelo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got two Aqua Clear 70 filters running on my 55 gal tank. When I do water changes all the water siphons out of the filters. I've tried to pour some tank water back in, but it just continues to siphon out. It takes me roughly 1/2 hour to do a 50% water change. Question is how long can the filter media with all the bacteria be sitting there with no water surrounding it before it starts to die off? Just want to make sure I don't need to do something different so I don't cause myself problems.

Thanks!

Just lift your siphon tube prior to water change, the water will stay in the back, and you don't have to rush. I would say as long as sponge is wet they are alive. And a 25% water change is usually good enough monthly, unless you have a heavy fish load...make the hobby easier , not harder.

trifisherjoe, I respectfully disagree. 25% monthly, even with a littley stocked tank is still quite small. 25% weekley, or 50% bi weekly is a good starting point. Its not about making it EASY its about doing it RIGHT.

Do it smarter not harder, check your water parameters. If your Nitrates are low your fine...it's a matter of opinion.

You are fine. It would have to dry out. As long as its wet, the BB lives.

Mostly true, but it does have to be kept in the right temp range and can't go too long without an ammonia source.

50% weekly is a good PWC recommendation IME.

Do it smarter not harder, check your water parameters. If your Nitrates are low your fine...it's a matter of opinion.

Fresh water is the best thing you can do for the general health of your fish. I also respectfully disagree with your comment about such sporadic water changes. Not healthy.

If a person considers weekly water changes hard, perhaps fishkeeping is not the hobby for them.

To the OP, I do 50% water changes weekly on 4 tanks, it takes anywhere from 1-2 hours. I've had no issues with my bb drying out in the amount of time it takes me to perform this task.

Let's stay on topic of the original post please.

There are many threads with good info on water changes and the reasons (beyond the common four measured parameters) to do them.

When you do your water changes, you need to take the whole filter off. Then you can take out the sponge and rinse it in aquarium water (in a bucket or dechlorinated water). After you take out the sponge, you will see some remaining water in the filter. Pour it all out because there is a lot of waste and other stuff trapped. Then when you put the sponge and ceramic back onto the back of the tank. Then you can use a cup and get some of your aquarium water into the filter since it needs to bed full of water to restart again. This way you never have to worry about your bacteria drying out.

OK everyone, thanks for all the input. I typically don't do a 50% water change several times a week. It's usually just 20 to 25% depending on Nitrate readings. The 1/2 hour it takes is do a 50% change is kinda the max time the filters would be sitting without water. That's the only reason I used that as my example. I have pulled the intakes before to keep water up there, but it's always a pain to get them reseated correctly for some reason. I'll probably just do that so to keep the media wet.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom