How long before coral an invertibrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt bussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was wondering how long I should let my 125 gallon oceanic tank run before It is safe to add coral and other invertebrates? Any advice would help.

Once your tank is cycled, you can add corals and inverts right away. Unlike fish which must be added slowly and over time, you can add as many corals as you'd like once cycled. If you end up going coral crazy, best bet is to test your parameters and dose as needed etc.

Thanks for the info. I've had my tank running for three weeks now with a 130 pounds of live rock and just added three damsels last week. Could you tell me how much longer before it is cycled. I also added some boozy me during start up, if it matters.

Ya I've been testing it my ammonia is .25, my nitrite are 0, and my nitrates are around 10ppm. Optimal?

ANY ammonia is dangerous for fish! I take it you added the damsels to start your cycle instead of doing a fishless cycle (see link in my sig).

You need to let the cycle complete, then do a large (25% -30%) partial water change (PWC). Continue to monitor the water parameters for a week. When you go a week with feeding the tank and have ZERO ammonia, ZERO nitrite and <5ppm nitrate you can start adding corals and inverts.

If you want SPS corals you need to also make sure that Phosphate is <.01 and nitrates are closer to ZERO if not 0.

Being totally honest, even though you can add coral right away and as much as you want once you are fully cycled, I would be wary of what I put in right away. It takes some time for the tank to stabilize, especially if you add to many fish in one sitting. If you end up causing a mini cycle it can do major damage to your inverts and coral. I learned this the hard way. Just take it all slow, and when you think you are going slow enough go slower.

Back
Top Bottom