How long can a Betta live without eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goose

Aquarium Advice Regular
My betta has not eaten for what seems like almost 2 weeks if not longer. Suffering from fin rot which I am trying to treat with Jungle Fungus Clear and also using Parasite Clear.

He is not eating even when there were no meds present. I pretty much have accepted he is never going to get well again, just wondering how long I should expect him to live?

Lots of fish can go for 2ish weeks without food without problems, if they were well-fed to begin with. Your poor betta is probably starving. You can try to entice him to eat with some yummy frozen or live foods. Keep your water quality high.

If you suspect he'll never recover, you might think about reading the euthanasia sticky in the unhealthy fish forum.

I have some freeze dried blood worms that I am going to try..I noticed that down around where he eliminates waste that it is swollen and always looks like there is a bit of "poop" present. Not sure if anything will entice though..he doesn't even take it in his mouth and spit it out like he was doing last week

Not sure if I could bring myself to do that to him although it may be the must humane thing to do. Some of you have had a lot of fish deaths so it comes a bit easier(although never is)

It is possible that he *MIGHT* be constipated, though after this long without eating it isn't as likely. You can try a pea bath. Take some peas and boil them for 30seconds or so, squish out the meat of the pea and discard the shell. Now smoosh up the peas to get a cloudy mess. You can then either put the fish into this mixture (I'd use tank water for the boiling and treatment), or you could dump the mixture in with the betta let it sit for a while and then do some good PWC's. This might clear up a constipation issue, but I'd first check in with the unhealthy fish forum and get their advice.

Goodluck. :(

Could I use baby food peas that are already smooshed? If so will that stuff float and what is the attraction to it?(for bettas)

Possibly, though you need to make sure there is NO other additives. Some of those baby products have extra vitamins and stuff that the fish might not react well too. I just buy a bag of frozen peas and use a couple every week or so. It's cheap, and you know its just peas.

The purpose of crushing them into a soup is so they don't need to eat the peas to get the diaretic effect. They will consume a small amount of it even if they don't actively feed on the peas. I would first try a pea piece to see if it eats it. If that doesn't work, then try the pea "bath". Now don't go crazy and put 100peas in the tank, but 2 or 3 in a small amount of tank water would probably be fine.

Again I'd go after other avenues in the sick fish forum, but if nothing works, this might be an option.

HTH

After all you and your betta have been through, goose, I would try 7Enigma's suggestion of the pea bath. If the betta does manage to eat a little, it could possibly help his swollen area. When you say there is a bit of poop present, that is constipation, and peas are very helpful for that. So give the smooshed peas a try and see if it helps at all. He may ingest enough to do him some good. Are you still using the Jungle parasite clear?

Ok thank you guys...just so I understand this right..I want to cook some peas and then crush them up until they are liquid? I only ask because he will not eat at all...no way at all. The only other tank I have is a 1/2 gallon unheated bowl which I don't want to put him in because of the drastic temp change he will experience.

If I want to keep him in his tank (2.5 Bow Fin) do you suggest I keep the filter off and if so how long? How many peas for that tank

Or can I take him out of his tank into the bowl for a short amount of time with the pea soup?

Also how long should it take for results you think?

I stopped the Parasite Clear because I already had given him 3 doses which is the max the recommend. Right now he is on the Fungus Clear every day after a 40% pwc

God I know it is only a betta but I want to do what I can

Goose, I don't think you'll EVER hear anyone here saying "Geez, it's just a fish!" We all love our finned friends and go to the same great lengths that you are. Your fish thanks you for caring so much!

I don't know anything about fish constipation, but for fin rot, I use Melafix by API for my bettas. It seems to really help them recover and re-grow their fins. However, I don't know if you want to use it along with the fungus meds, though. Maybe someone else knows more about it?

Sorry to hear about your fishy troubles. :(

Bettas generally will take a nibble at some crushed peas. Of course, some just won't touch them. At this point, I think the peas are worth a try. Just put the peas in some hot water, peel them, and grind them with your fingers, then place the betta in the tank with the peas.

Make sure the water temps are the same though, wouldn't want to cause any more stress on your betta.

ok here is what I have done...lets hope I didnt screw up too bad..

I frist mashed about 10 peas with my fingers(peeled) and dumped the juices into his tank. What I have done is keep the water flow going but removed the media..I dumped the mashed peas in the tank and that created a huges mess...pea guts all over the place and gravel...for the next 15 minutes I used a turkey baster to suck out as many pieces of peas as I could. :(

Of course that sucked out almost half the water in the tank so I refilled with spring water. Because I took probably a lot of the pea juice out I did this next....I smashed about 20 peas in a bowl until it was a thick paste..I then added some water to "liquify it"...poured the contents out through a strainerso only the juices went into the tank. Like I said filter is going but only pushing water, no media

I only have the half gallon bowl and did not want to put him on that due to the huge temp swing...my house goes down to 60 at night and his tank is usually 76-78 or so....

Do you think what I have down was practical or pretty much a waste of time? Do you think he will absorb the "pea" broth into him through his skin?

He's supposed to eat the peas and not absorb it through his skin. 20 peas is a lot for a single betta in a small container. Better make sure you do a massive water change in an hour or less. Given the small tank volum you're working with, I'd give the betta an hour to eat if he wants to, then change 100% of his water. Just make sure that there is no chlorine and that the water parameters of your old and new water are the same.

Thats the point...he won't eat the peas...he wont eat anything at all it has been more than an hour(more like 8) and he is no worse for wear other than being the same and not eating

Is there any way to relieve constipation without him eating?

Ther is a a lot of pea dust all over the gravel...complete tank cleaning?

He hasn't even nibbled on the peas? Even a little? The peas are supposed to act as a laxative for the fish. If he won't eat, I'm not sure there's anything surface contact with the peas will do. I suggest you change the water and clean the tank. The small water volume with that much pollution will only do harm.

Yep..he won't eat at all...you would think he would be so hungry that he would at least nibble...acouple post above seems to think that just having the pea "solution" added to his water would help a bit...this does seem to make sense since this is the way fish absorb meds no?

I think the point of the pea solution wasn't for him to absorb it through his skin but rather that he might suck some of the liquid/semi-liquid in where he wouldn't eat solid food. It has to go through his digestive system so he's not going to get it by osmosis.

I've heard of some people putting their fish in an epsom salt solution to ease constipation. I don't know if that's safe for bettas or not or how effective it actually is.

Sorry for your betta by the way, it's never pleasant watching your fishy suffer :(

Ok...I'll put him in the fishbowl with only a small amount of water...at this point I don't think it makes a diff anymore...he is either gonna eat or die.

How should I feed him? The pea mush doesnt float so it will probably just sit at the bottom of the bowl...if he does eat how long shoUld I expect to see any results? Water temp may sink into the low 60's for him in the bowl

I really wouldn't put him in the bowl at this point. The low temperatures will only stress him and may push him over the edge. I think the reasoning behind the floating pea pieces, like what was mentioned, is that he had a greater chance of eating some if they were all around him, not that he would "absorb" them. A betta usually doesn't eat from the tank bottom so a pea piece lying there won't help him. If he is absolutely not eating, then do a water change to remove all the pea debris.

Have you tried epsom salts? This epsom treatment can help with the bloat. You can get this in any grocery or drug store. You can use it right in his tank. The usual dose is 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon per gallon, so if your tank is about 2 gallons, you could use up to 1/2 teaspoon. Add it gradually, though, in 1/8 teaspoon increments. Once you've worked up to 1/2 teaspoon, leave him in that concentration for about 3-4 days. When doing water changes, add back the amount of salt that you removed. Then after the treatment, do gradual changes with freshwater - about a half gallon a day, until you've removed all the salt. At any time if the salt appears to be stressing him, do a water change. I have given this treatment to a betta with good results.

Back
Top Bottom