How long can BB live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I do filter maintenance sometimes I'll need to place the filter media (Aquaclear sponges/biomax bag) aside on a towel for 5 minutes or so when cleaning the filter and intake tubes.

Is this a safe practice or should I ALWAYS keep the media submerged in old tank water?

Also, how vigorous can I squeeze the sponges out so it doesn't remove the BB? I squeeze about 8-12 times to get most of the gunk out.

When I do filter maintenance sometimes I'll need to place the filter media (Aquaclear sponges/biomax bag) aside on a towel for 5 minutes or so when cleaning the filter and intake tubes.

Is this a safe practice or should I ALWAYS keep the media submerged in old tank water?

Also, how vigorous can I squeeze the sponges out so it doesn't remove the BB? I squeeze about 8-12 times to get most of the gunk out.

I try to keep mine in tank water at all times.

I always sit mine in a 5-gallon bucket with old tank water when I'm cleaning my canister. Just in case something comes up in the middle of cleaning and I need to stop.

Try not to keep them out of water for over 20 minutes, but if they don't dry out you should be ok. I follow the same regiment as you while cleaning my canister filter and the trays stay out of water for about 10 minutes. I have a 5 gallon buck for cleaning the filter and I squeeze them rather vigorously in the bucket while keeping them away from my tap water .

Back
Top Bottom