How long can i keep an oto in a bag for? And

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrfishfrenzee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ow long can I keep oto catfish in bag ? and how long can I keep ghost shrimp in a bag?

Lol are you flying across america with it? And an otto is usually a pretty sensative fish so id sy an hour to an hour and a half would be about it. Ghost shrimp are very hardy, id say 2 hours

If they have it (but probably not) ask if they can inject the bag with pure oxygen. They will survive a lot longer. I know that's what some online sellers do, and it works. And some do not, and they are still alive In bag for 12 hours okay.

It's questionable, but I wouldn't think they will die after 4 hours. Just get them in the tank right away. of course, after acclimation.

Bring a towel Or a cooler they are less stressed in the dark, and the cooler will not throw hem around as much

Lol are you flying across america with it? And an otto is usually a pretty sensative fish so id sy an hour to an hour and a half would be about it. Ghost shrimp are very hardy, id say 2 hours

Remember, fish are shipped across the country and DOAs are rare. It is the same case here, just a different scenario. You will need to make sure the bag stays warm or cool enough. If you can, add some prime to the water before you start the trip.

If they have it (but probably not) ask if they can inject the bag with pure oxygen. They will survive a lot longer. I know that's what some online sellers do, and it works. And some do not, and they are still alive In bag for 12 hours okay.

It's questionable, but I wouldn't think they will die after 4 hours. Just get them in the tank right away. of course, after acclimation.

Petsmart has pure oxygen so that will be good.

Ask them to use 2 of the largest bags. Only 25% water to 75% Air. After bag is sealed, Flip it gently and place inside second bag. This will eliminate corners and keep small fish from accidentally getting squished in a corner as well as provide more insulation.

I would transport in a cooler if possible or wrap in towels or newspaper and a cardboard box.

Otos like company so get at least 3 if you have room.

Remember, fish are shipped across the country and DOAs are rare. It is the same case here, just a different scenario. You will need to make sure the bag stays warm or cool enough. If you can, add some prime to the water before you start the trip.

There would be no reason to use prime, besides prime is only viable for 24 hours so by the time the ammonia built up to a dangerous level the prime would be inert.

There would be no reason to use prime, besides prime is only viable for 24 hours so by the time the ammonia built up to a dangerous level the prime would be inert.

Actually Prime is viable for up to 48 hours according to some of the seachem reps on their forum. I know that the site faq says otherwise. I do agree that it probably doesn't do a whole lot as far as ammonia buildup goes, the best thing to combat that is water volume in relation to fish density.

I dose all of my shipment bags with Prime however I do this for another reason, I ship the fish in completely fresh water so it's just an extra effort to make sure that it is well dechlorinated.

On the subject in particular, a 4 hour trip is nothing, just put the bag in an insulated cooler or wrap it in blankets and it should be fine.

+1 I think they will be fine for 4 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom