How long does it take, on average, for a fish to get used to a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andresdeo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In general of course, Im sure there will be diferentes between species. By getting used to, I refer to swimming around normally, start feeding, and any other you can think of.

andresdeo said:
In general of course, Im sure there will be diferentes between species. By getting used to, I refer to swimming around normally, start feeding, and any other you can think of.

In my experiences, all my fish have started eating within 4 or 5 days depending on the species. Some will eat right away. New fish take a little time to get used to the tank. Like the new kid at school, they act very vulnerable usually until they get used to things. It may take a week or two for the fish to be comfortable in his new home.

From experience, it depends on what fish you are adding
and what fish you currently have stocked in the aquarium (schooling peaceful tetras will help relax the new fish).

I have also found that tanks with lots of plants, decorations and hiding places - the NEW fish settles in really quickly.

But to answer your question, it takes a few days for the new fish to "fully" settle in.
I find feeding your tank helps coax the new fish. The new fish will see the other fishes eating and feel safer and more at ease.

Back
Top Bottom