How long does it take to...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bennerkla

Aquarium Advice Regular
....to have the baserock turn to live rock with 80 lbs of base and 25 of live?

It really depends on the source of the LR and how much it has been cured prior to placing in your tank. As far as bacteria goes, it will grow to accomidate the amount of nutrient the animal load feeds it. The fauna will migrate as needed over a few short months. Other external animal, plant life and coralline can take a few short months up to as long as a year or more.

Other than that was there something more specific you where after?

Cheers
Steve

not really, thanks. I'm going to put in live rock and live sand, then have my tank cycle. Will the base rock turning to live rock alter any of my water levels?

As the base rock get infested with the bacteria and algae, it will increase the capacity to reduce the nitrate load, the whole system will constantly be in flux until you have stabilized the occupants as Steve was alludind to before. Short annwer is that it will impact it positively. As you add more fishes to the tank, this will increase the load which will promote more bacteria growth etc. Once the bio load is constant, the tank will come to an equilibrium. 8)

Back
Top Bottom