How Long does it take?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long does it take for a piece of driftwood to fully soak and sink? I have a chunk soaking for a week now and it is still floating when I lift the weight. Just wondering, maybe I'll get home today and it will be at the bottom of the bucket. Who knows?

It could take a good while. Some pieces will never float. What kind of wood is it? Where didi you get it?

Got it at the LFS. I think it was labeled as Malaysian Driftwood (I'd have to check receipt) It definitely carried a label from a distributor that states it was cleaned driftwood.

I am surprised Malaysian is usually like a rock. Give it a week or so. If all else fails you can epoxy a piece of slate to the bottom.

I could be mistaken regarding country of origin. I have to check the receipt which is at home. It was however, definitely labeled driftwood though.

pictures would be nice. i cant wait to see how it all turned out. did it leach alot of tannins? or did the water stay relativly clear?

I had it soaking on a bucket for a week and a half. So far no noticeable tannins leaching out but I will test for Ph in a day or two to see how far down it brings it. Now if I can get my wife to let me take out the castle she loves that takes up 1/3 of the footprint I could really plant this baby.

Back
Top Bottom