How long til airstone helps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tropical tanks in no way need an airstone. Although it is true that oxygen is less soluble at higher temps, there is still plenty available for fish. Now, at high temps (80-82+) you might consider it, but in general, no.

Are you buying from a chain fish store, or a 'mom and pop' store? It seems as chain fish stores like petco and pets at home sell sickly fish more often than mom and pop stores.

Umm, I don't know if its a chain but it is well known and has a really good reputation locally. That said I had issues when I bought a pair if fish from them and a week later my entire community was decimated, similar to what's happened here.

Speaking of this situation- just got home from work and my lone survivor is still hanging on, actually looking a bit livelier too. Not only that, but it has white spot! Not sure if the white spot is secondary to whatever virus killed everything, or if white spot was the cause and I just couldn't see the spots on the others (mostly albino tiger barbs).

Either way I can't get to the LFS til tomorrow for treatment but hopefully it'll keep hanging on. Any thoughts?

New hear, but thought I would chime in. When you went through your cycle, you NEVER saw a NitrIte spike? Only Ammonia? And now some low NitrAtes? I just does not sound like your tank every fully cycled.

I guess it's possible you have a bad TrIte test solution, and it's not reading correctly. I don't know.

Good Luck.

Yes, I went fishless at first using ammonia and ran I to problems with the nitrite being off the scale and pH dropping. The cycle kept slowing (never stalled) so I had to do a massive water change and go fish in.

Back
Top Bottom