How long to hold in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Typically how long does it need to be if fish are on hold from lfs purchase. Eating and not displaying any signs of disease?

For years I guess I have been really fortunate, only having minor issues.

Last fall I started using QT, then had a QT tank full of guppy fry pulled and getting ready to go to their new home delivery was delayed, so I plopped the Cardinals into the main tank and BAM! Ich! Got them fixed up with heat and salt treatment but killed off and damaged the majority of plants in my planted tank.

So I would have normally waited about three weeks, but I am moving tanks to the new place and wanted to get the fish switched at the same time. (but not required) Will be changing the fish combinations a little.

Blue Tetras (9) 1.5 weeks in there all are still fine.

Rainbow Blue Platties (6) all are fine been in 2 weeks

This week end or next week I will be getting about a dozen Cardinals to add to my 14 in my 72G and I want them to go into QT, but not with the others in QT, until they are out!

Personally for myself it depends.

If its a LFS I trust has clean fish, 2 weeks.

If its a LFS I know is dirty, at least 3 as long as they look healthy.

I QT 2 weeks if the fish but I have them in methylene blue for the first week as a precaution.

Thank you, I don't put them in with any meds, just sometimes use Stress-Coat.

Also I keep shrimp and/or snails in all of the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom