How long until my equipment is safe to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had ich (and possibly columnaris) tear through one of my tanks.

I bleached everything I could bleach.

Boiled everything I could boil.

Hot tap water and salted everything else.

Let everything sit dry for 2 weeks.

How long until my tank and equipment is safe to use again without fear of any parasites/fungus/bacteria returning? :confused:

I would think your ok ... From what I've read ... Ich dies in a couple of days if it doesn't find a host. So any remaining wouldn't have survived anyway.

I would think your ok ... From what I've read ... Ich dies in a couple of days if it doesn't find a host. So any remaining wouldn't have survived anyway.

That's what I had learned researching as well. I just wanted to make sure I don't transfer anything between tanks (or back into that tank for that matter).

Ich can't survive hot temps. As far as I know as long as u rinsed in extremely hot water u would be fine. The bleachin and the boiling definitely wouldve done it

Ich can't survive outside of water. If you have allowed your items to dry outside the tank, they are dead. However, be careful to rinse all the bleach before putting items back in a biological environment. Next time, you might consider trying full strength vinegar and then a hot rinse.

Back
Top Bottom