how long will a tank stay cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
depending on when the mail shows I should get my new heater for my 55 later today. might show when the lfs is closed. i'm going to crack clean before I get some new friends it has my moms pond goldies (3 about 3inches) in it now. i'll rehome them to my 30 that has my exes goldie and hill stream til they go into the pond.

how long will a tank stay cycled without fish? I know it depends but if it were to go a few days if I would still be okay. I know goldfish carry a hi bio load but curious. I did just service my filter about a week ago. its a sun sun 302 canister.

I think bb can lay dormant for a good month so you should be fine, you could always add a pinch if flake food to create a little good for the bb to munch on too.

For a week fishless I know it stays cycled, but I don't know the death rate of BBs without ammonia source.

You can feed them pure ammonia... IMO if the tank has already been cycled, and need to be recycled, it will take much less longer than a brand new one.

Godd Bacteria Survival

depending on when the mail shows I should get my new heater for my 55 later today. might show when the lfs is closed. i'm going to crack clean before I get some new friends it has my moms pond goldies (3 about 3inches) in it now. i'll rehome them to my 30 that has my exes goldie and hill stream til they go into the pond.

how long will a tank stay cycled without fish? I know it depends but if it were to go a few days if I would still be okay. I know goldfish carry a hi bio load but curious. I did just service my filter about a week ago. its a sun sun 302 canister.

Hello Smooth...

The good bacteria just needs a source of ammonia and a little oxygen to live. It's this combination of things that starts the bacteria in the first place. You have the oxygen in the air and your filtration equipment mixes oxygen into the tank water. So, you just need the ammonia. You can use frozen fish foods, these have little or no additives or whatever fish foods you have available. Just put the stuff into the tank.

B

okay. well no heater yet maybe sat mail. sounds like I should be okay if its empty for a day or so. thanks

Back
Top Bottom