How many barbs in a 35

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caincando1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a 35 hex with 7 tiger barbs in it. I plan to keep it a barb only tanks with maybe a small cat or two, or maybe not. I'm wondering how many barbs would live comfortable in 35 gallons. I plan to keep them a long time so I want to plan for there growth. They are about 1 1/4inches now. I don't know that I've ever seen a full grown tiger barb. How big do they get?

A 35 gal hex really doesn't have that much room. IMO the amount of fish you have now is enough, but if you want cats, you could try 3 cories.

Caincando1 said:
I've got a 35 hex with 7 tiger barbs in it. I plan to keep it a barb only tanks with maybe a small cat or two, or maybe not. I'm wondering how many barbs would live comfortable in 35 gallons. I plan to keep them a long time so I want to plan for there growth. They are about 1 1/4inches now. I don't know that I've ever seen a full grown tiger barb. How big do they get?

BTW, Tiger barbs only grow to about 2 1/2" max.

I would tend to agree. While you still have space from the "inch of fish per gallon" perspective, a hex is not ideal for fish that are active swimmers, like barbs, so I probably would not add any more. Maybe one or two if you are really dying for a bigger school. But a little cleanup crew for the bottom wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I was thinking a dozen total? They will probably migrate to one of my un set up 55 in the next year or so. I just don't want to over stock them in the 35 hex just in case they end up staying for for a LONG time. The 55 will work better for the barbs becasue it has more length to swim. I know the hex does give the swimming area for them to swim in a big school, that's why I asked. I just can't find a good spot for a 55 in the house.

You could easily go with a dozen in a 55. You might even be able to almost double that without too much problem if you stay on top of your pwc's and don't have anything else in there. But with that many fish, you will be adding more food, which means more uneaten food to fall to the bottom. If you want to basically go with a barb only tank, I would probably go with 12-16, and have a cleanup crew of about 6+ cories on the bottom.

are cories really that good of cleaning up fish? everyone here seems to love them, i just thought they were funny looking...

you really want about a dozen barbs?

22 hours out of the day, Cories are nothing but vaccuums. That is all they do is go around the tank, shifting through the sand looking for uneaten food.

If you go with the 55 you could put a nice school of Tigers. For bottom feeders I would get a small group of Yo Yo Loaches. They do the same as Corys buy they are a little more aggressive, bigger, good match with barbs, and they are very entertaining

lovemybarbs said:
Yeah, the hex limits you. They start out tiny, but they will get big fast. They are pansies, so make sure you have a lot of cover.

I'm cool with 7, they look great already. When you say pansies are you talking about the barbs or cories? I have very little to no cover in my tank now. I really like it that way and that has stopped me from getting cories because I'd have to add some bottom cover for them.

The tigers get skiddith the older they get. I can't explain it. There are just days they will sit in the corner huddled together. Like right now the tigers are worried but the roseys, goldies and albinos are running around.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "lots of cover." They need a place to school, but have a spot where they can feel safe.

Good to know! They certainly aren't skiddish now. In fact, quit the opposite. They either aren't bothered or actually currious when people or my dogs are around the tank. My dog with paw and mouth at the tanks and they don't even flinch, they just keep swimming by.

I do however have one tiger that is a little smaller than the others. That one will occationally hide, but it seems like it's hiding from the other fish.

the 3.5" long Acei is what keeps my tiger barbs trembling in their scales. there's only a few barbs left in my tank. I tried to relocate as many as I could catch in a 75gal densly planted tank :)

Back
Top Bottom