How many clowns in a single tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really really enjoy my b&w oscellaris and would like to have more. Maybe not the b&w but another type. I have a mated pair so would another mated pair be ok? I heard they can be aggressive to each other so I'm not sure.

Many thanks

Nope. 1 pair per tank.

Unless you have a gigantic system where the two pairs will rarely see each other.

Ok. I'm eying a nano tank anyways. ;-) LOL

why do I see alot of tanks with multiple clowns? There seems to be alot and I haven't heard of any issues. I knew you couldnt have 4 or 5 of the same one.

Most of the time it is best to include multiple clownfish at a single time so territories are equally staked. Some species tolerate others better and conspecifics included. For instance, I've always had good luck keeping a small group of 4-6 single specie Skunk clowns such as Amphipirion perideraion or Amphiprion polymnus (not in Skunk complex). Sometimes a pair of A. percula or A. ocellaris will coexist with A. clarkii or even A. allardi. A. allardi can coexist with Skunks and/or A. polymnus. These are just a few examples.

Would a pair of black oscellaris be ok with a pair of regular nemo clowns? Or with a pair of clarkii? These are the other clowns I'm interested in. I'm moving the clowns I have over to a 55g soon so i figured that would be a good time to add them.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

You are correct in attempting this during the move into the 55g as there would be no territories already established and being a larger area in case they don't accept each other. In general either or can be mixed, just make sure to get juveniles. There will be bickering so expect that until territories can be resolved.

Sweet. the ones I have now are very tiny tank bred ones, they seem to have a very nice disposition.

Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom