How many fancy goldfish in a 38 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But would I be ok with just one canister filter and no HOB's? And you're saying I'll be fine with a canister filter that's rated for a 55 gal tank? I don't have to go up with the gallon rating or anything like I would with the HOB?

A fluval 306 cannister would do you just fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A fluval 306 cannister would do you just fine.

+1 if go with this filter I would recommend a small circulation pump to keep particles in the water column longer. And create more surface motion so water stays oxygenated. Something similar to a hydor 425 nano.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've made a discovery. I was asking if I could put 2 fantails & one pleco in my 30 gallon. Upon taking the dimensions, I discovered it holds more than 30 gallons. Add that to the fact we are talking US gallons & I am from Canada, it is almost a 50 gallon tank. ( 46.75 )

Wow seaweed. time for a pond, my friend. Lol

Hey guys, so I was searching the forums and it looks like I can put 4-5 in the 55gal (correct me if I'm wrong).

In terms of filtration, I didn't want to spend over $100 so I was thinking two HOB power filters (350gph each - to make sure I'm well over the 550gph goal). Possibly marineland's bio wheel penguin 350. The canisters looked like the cost more for much less gph.

Thoughts?

4-5 fancies in a 55g is overstocked. Ideally 20gallons per fancy goldfish. If you want 5 go for 100gallon tank. Let them have room to swim. Understock with Goldie's. 2 in 55 will have a good life. If you put 4-5 in a 55g you risk stunting. The 20g then 10gallon per fish after that is a minimum. Trust me don't give them the minimum space give the more they will flourish with room to swim. When they hit 2-3yrs and are 8 inches each ( if they make it to that size) you will look at your tank and think God they look ridiculously cramped in there. I have 6 in 119gallon. And even I think God as there getter bigger its just enough room.

Sent from my Harrier Mini from EE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Filter for GF is 10x turnover per hour, the gallons (550 gallons per hour), but there is always filter media slowing things down so maybe factor that in.

I have an FX-5 it is a monster filter works great and is really pretty quiet considering what it does. You might be able to find a set up with one included as they do cost a bit. I got mine included in a tank purchase for less than the cost of the filter - used of course.

Back
Top Bottom