How many fish can I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what types of fish? I think there are people on the forum who have use liveaquaria.com succesfully, but I don't know if I'd get rams or apistoes from them. Another place I think alot of people use it Aquabid, which is like the Ebay of aquarium fish.

I'd recommend Bob's Tropical Plants. I've gotten quite a few fish from him, and they are always packed wonderfully, and are always very healthy and active. I've only had one death out of 17 fish that I've ordered from him, and they always eat on the same day they arrive! I live in S. California, and so does he, so mine arrive overnight. I'm sure that cuts down on stress too.

Yes they are. I'm wanting to buy $20-30 worth of fish and shipping is like $40 on top of that. I'm just going to have to do some more research and find a local place even if I have to drive a bit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

James

Yes they are. I'm wanting to buy $20-30 worth of fish and shipping is like $40 on top of that. I'm just going to have to do some more research and find a local place even if I have to drive a bit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

James

Think though. If you have to drive 50 miles, think of how much the ware on your car, your time, and the gas is worth ;)

Personally I think some pictus catfish are great starters, they stay small and when you get a school iv notices they'll usually just pick a side of the tank like a corner to hangout. I use to have pictus cats and a dragon fish, the dragon fish hung out in a log all day then came out at night. Gives your tank a real underwater pond look to it

Thanks for the advice, they look awesome. I like that they stay small too. Do they do a good job of cleaning things up?

Yeah they'll eat off the ground unlike a lot of fish, if you want help with cleaning I'd recommend some Mystery Snails which you should find in most pet shops, and a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails which you can get off of eBay
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400255522.773640.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400255560.293527.jpg
That's what the mystery snails look like, you'll almost never see the Malaysian snails though they hide under gravel. It's a relatively cheap set up with those fish plus catfish are cool so see swim around when their whiskers get nice and long.
You have to be careful about using a net on them though because their whiskers will catch and become a problem

Personally I think some pictus catfish are great starters, they stay small and when you get a school iv notices they'll usually just pick a side of the tank like a corner to hangout. I use to have pictus cats and a dragon fish, the dragon fish hung out in a log all day then came out at night. Gives your tank a real underwater pond look to it

The tank is 38g. Pictus Cats aren't small. They get around 5" or even larger. and are fast swimmers. They should be in groups of 5 or 6 min. They are a wide mouth cat so eating off the bottom does happen, but they don't have the snout like Cories to dig for food. Ours went into crazy zooming feeding frenzies midwater at feeding time. They love bloodworms.

Also they will eat every fish they can fit in their mouth at night. Many people wake up to zero Neons and a fat Pictus. Recommended tank size 70g or larger. They prefer soft sand bottoms and dim lighting with lots of filtration.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1163+933&pcatid=933

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile70_comment.html

Note Planet Catfish says there are two lookalike species sold as Pictus. One gets even larger than 5". That would explain the owner of 8" Pictus.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=276

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BettaMan01 Pictus hate bright tanks. They should have a smooth cave or shaded area to hide. Also as I said, they prefer sand, smooth gravel is ok, but sand is better.

They will come out into the light once they are happy, but should have the option. With that stock you'd need several hides. Your Dragon Goby would have liked one as well.

Just saw this was past fish, not current. Just commenting for lurkers and OP.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just throwing it out there, another awesome bottom feeder for a tank like that are kuhli loaches. They are like a little eel with the activity of a cory

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The activity comes with them being comfortable though. They do have a tendancy to hide during the day sometimes, but i have also seen plenty of tanks where they are always looking for food

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pictus are great catfish. I have 2 in my 90 gallon and they hang out under the driftwood. But I've had them for years and their about 5" long and are extremely active. A 4' tank is minimum for them. And they will eat small fish they ate my kids' school of neons in 3 days a few years ago. Now they live with cories, Bolivians, angelfish, rainbowfish and harlequins. They haven't touched the harlequins but their also full grown now and are taller than neons and similar fish. If you ever get a 4' tank or larger they are great fish!

Thanks

Thanks for the information everyone. I ended up getting some Spotted Cory Catfish because that's what my local store had. They are very active and eat all day long. I'm enjoying them. A great local store I found also had some great Rummynose Tetras that I added as my first school. I plan to add more at the end of this week since my tank is keeping up just fine with the cycling.

I still am on the fence about adding some Cichlids. At the local stores I get all sorts of different opinions when I ask about some of the species that everyone has referred me too. Also, some of the more peaceful species that have been listed here are hard to find locally. Most stores around here carry African Cichlids so it might be something I end up having to order.

I'm always open to seeing pictures of people with Cichlids in a community tank if anyone has any. :)

Thanks,

James

Back
Top Bottom