How many fish in a 15g high aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newsalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello:

I'm new to saltwater aquariums. I've kept freshwater tanks for nearly 25 years and want to try my hand at saltwater. I recently set up my aquarium on 11/18. It is still in the middle of cycling. The tank specs are:

15 gallon high arcylic
20 lbs of Live Rock
20 lbs of Aragonite Sand
Skilter 250 Filter/ protein Skimmer
Typical florescent lights used for freshwater aquariums

The aquarium will be FOWLR. I want to know the quantity of fish I might be able to keep in this size tank. I'm interested in Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellowtail Damsel, Blue Green Chromis, Royal Gramma, and Neon Blue Goby. I know I can't have all those fish in there, but some combination. I'd love to have 4 fish in the tank, 5 would be great!
I plan on running the Skimmer probably only over night since it's noisy and the aquarium is in the family/TV room.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Well one problem with the 15 high is that it has a low surface area to tank capacity ratio. When compairing tanks the ideal tank would be the one that has a shape that maximizes the surface area to capacity ratio. The low surface area to tank capacity ratio means that there will be less gas exchange in a 15 high than a 15 standard. Less gas exchange basicly equates out to less fish.

I personaly avocate understocking a tank vs overstocking as its much healther on the overall system. For a 15high I would suggest 2 small fish. A pair of clowns, or a clown and goby or a set of chromis. I have to question if the royal gramma wont become overly agressive with a second fish in that size tank.

Is there a way to improve gas exchange? Can it be done by increasing the movement of the water surface perhaps by using a powerhead?

Is there a way to improve gas exchange? Can it be done by increasing the movement of the water surface perhaps by using a powerhead?

if you have room, setup a sump / refuge

the bubbling of water as it drains from the display tank and enters the sump/refuge will create enormous surface area for you.

the draw back is, it is artifical surface area ... if you have a power outage and cannot run the pump, your tank goes back to being dangerously low on surface area.

I think regardless of increasing gas exchange you still don't have enough room for 1 or 2 fish. There simply isn't much real estate for everyone to claim. I have a 30g long aquarium with only 4 fish (pair of percs, royal gramma, and a bangaii cardinalfish) and would not consider adding any more due the territories required.

If you want 4-5 fish, I would set up a larger tank since you only just started the 15g. Otherwise, I would enjoy the 15g for what it can have as opposed to what it can't.

Back
Top Bottom