How many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bremadie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank and right now i have one adult guppy and about ten 3 month old fry (they are what is left after the tank cycling) i went out and bought four phantom tetras and they seem to be doing alright and i am going to petco in the morning and i was wondering how many tetras could i put in before it got crowed? Now, i am not going to let the guppies have any more babies (my boyfriend has a tank of cichlids in the other room) and i am also looking to get rid of the guppies (that are too big for the cichlids). They are not pretty guppies at all and a few of them have birth defects so finding a home is not easy.

So any suggestions on what tetras to get and how many? I am new to the tetra hobby for i have always had the live breeders.

Thanks

For the surface of the tank the Hatchet Tetras are nice. If you want a lot of color then the Neons or Cardinal Tetras fall into this category. Also the Rummy nose Tetras are one of my favorite but are very easily stressed when being moved. Another good choice would be the Rasboras.

Some tetras are not to picky about water but some come from very soft and acidic waters.
Tetras are schooling fish and should be in groups of at least 5 or 6.
3 schools of tetras plus your guppys will fill out your tank nicely. A scavenger to live on the bottom.

Head&tail light tetras are pretty cool. Glowlight, black skirted, Serpae are nice too. More than one site says Neons are to sickly and should be avoided.
Danios are another good schooling fish.

here is a link to a thread here with links to fish profiles. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=11504

If you are just starting with tetras, I would not recommend neons or cardinals since they are not at all hardy.There are many hardy tetras that include the black phantom tetras, serpae tetras, glowlight tetras and black widow tetras. Congo tetras are VERY attractive but you would need to keep the tank devoted to them and neons or cardinals because they require specific conditions.

Nicky.

Back
Top Bottom