How many inches of fish for a 30 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rich311k said:
Depends on the fish. What are you interested in kepping?
I know it is too many, so tell me what doesn't work together, and ill make sure I drop a couple from the list.

4 Male Guppies
2 Female Guppies

5 Black Mollies

8 Neon Tetras

2 Angelfish (mated pair)

1 Red-Tailed Shark

1 Clown Pleco

What are yall's thoughts? What should I add, substitute, subtract?

This is in a Moderately planted 30g tank. Should I do air rock for extra oxygen? Or will the plants be enough?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

1. forget the loach they like to be in groups and they get too big.

2. If you go with the angels forget the neons they will become a snack sooner or later. Depending on the size of the guppies they may become snacks as well.

3. If you forgo the angels you could do the guppies and neons or the molly and neons. I think all three groups would be to many fish.

4. The shark will work with any grouping of the above fish.

I would do the mollies and angels and maybe 3-5 cories.

Just remember live bearers rapidly populate a tank, if you go with the angels they will take care of population cotrol for you.

rich311k said:
1. forget the loach they like to be in groups and they get too big.

2. If you go with the angels forget the neons they will become a snack sooner or later. Depending on the size of the guppies they may become snacks as well.

3. If you forgo the angels you could do the guppies and neons or the molly and neons. I think all three groups would be to many fish.

4. The shark will work with any grouping of the above fish.

I would do the mollies and angels and maybe 3-5 cories.

Just remember live bearers rapidly populate a tank, if you go with the angels they will take care of population cotrol for you.
1. Which one is the Loach?
2. Why Cories instead of Pleco? (I have no preference, just curious)
3. Just 1 shark, right?
4. Also, if I just get 1 Angel, and some Neons, and the angel would take care of the population control, would that work? Or a little too much still? I dont know if Tetras as food are a good idea.

Rich, I'm guessing you saw clown loach? It actually says pleco there.
I think the mollies, angels, shark and pleco would work together.
or if you really like the guppies and neons:
Guppies, neons, shark and pleco.
Just some ideas.

How about this- It is condensed, but not there yet...

4 Black Mollies

8 Neon Tetras

2 Angelfish

1 Red-Tailed Shark

1 Clown Pleco

It looks like I need to ditch the Tetras..... right?

Plecos or Cories? Do they both do the exact same thing? Which one is better? 1 Pleco or 3 Cories?

Neons and angels dont work together. Sooner or later the neons will start to disappear. Cories and plecos will both eat leftover food on the bottom. The pleco will also eat algae which the cories wont. Drop the neons and I think you list could work. Certainly would be an interesting display. The angels may pick off the guppies as well when they become full adults.

rich311k said:
Neons and angels dont work together. Sooner or later the neons will start to disappear. Cories and plecos will both eat leftover food on the bottom. The pleco will also eat algae which the cories wont. Drop the neons and I think you list could work. Certainly would be an interesting display. The angels may pick off the guppies as well when they become full adults.

Awesome. I think I have my list. Thanks for the help guys!

4-5 Mollies
2 Angelfish
1 Red-Tailed Shark
1 Clown Pleco

That should be approx. 31 inches.

Im considering dropping a Molly or two. Would 3 Angels work well together? Ive heard they are better with 3 or more, and ive heard they arent good with more than 2. Which is it?

I guess. LOL If you get a pair just take the odd ball back to the store. You will get a store credit for a large angel.

I personally wouldn't put 3 angels in a 29gal because of their size. Two would work well in a 29gal, but when they get larger, three would be over crowding their swimming area

I don't think the mollies would be harmed or anything, but I thought mollies require different water requirements than the others. Have you considered golden or cherry barbs instead?

Also, I wanted to clarify WHY neons and angels don't go together... everyone told you not to, but I don't think anyone told you why- neons are natural prey to angelfish in the wild- also.. and this goes for almost every fish... if it fits in their mouth, it will be eaten =o)

Yeah, Congo's like Neon's too.. they must taste great, I had 21 eaten in a week by 3 congo's...

neon's are great fish when there isn't anything with teeth in the tank (or chichlids like Angels)

Andyvette said:
Should I do air rock for extra oxygen? Or will the plants be enough?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

As the fish grow, the tank will become more crowded and I would definitely recommend adequate aeration. Mollies and angels are both fairly messy fish that need ample room to grow, so keep that in mind. Also, angels prefer fairly soft, neutral to slightly acidic water, while mollies prefer harder water with a higher pH. If your tap water is naturally hard and has a pH above about 7.2 (but below 7.6?) I think you would be ok with the mollies, and the angels will adapt, if you acclimate them slowly. If your water is very soft and acidic, the mollies will not thrive. They actually prefer the addition of some salt to their water. If you need to raise the hardness and buffer the pH of your water, you can try filtering your water through crushed coral (it's sold as gravel at most fish stores, and you can put it into a little mesh bag and put it in a HOB or canister filter). If you are going to do that, though, definitely stay away from the neons - they need soft, acidic water.

More on the airstone - it will be necessary as the tank occupants grow unless the tank is planted fairly well. The water agitation can cause CO2 to escape faster, though, which your plants need. I would go for the airstone and keep an eye on your plants. If you have adequate, but not too strong light, they should be fine, and your fish will thank you.

Awesome advice so far guys and gals. Thanks alot!

Would Dwarf Gourami work OK with Angels? How about Mollies? How about the Red Tail Shark? I am considering doing them instead of Angels or Mollies maybe.....
Also, I have to do a pleco. I believe that the shark will harrass the corys (what my LFS said).

in the first list you said you wanted 4 male guppies and 2 females. i'd recommend reversing that number (2 males, 4 females) because with more males than females, the males will harass the females trying to mate... possibly to the point of death.

or just keep males for the look.

and, if you didn't know, you'll have lots of baby guppies with the setup i mentioned. but if you go with the angel, that won't be a problem as most of the babies will be eaten. if you want to keep fry, you'll need other arrangements.

Andyvette said:
Would Dwarf Gourami work OK with Angels? How about Mollies? How about the Red Tail Shark? I am considering doing them instead of Angels or Mollies maybe.....
I don't know if the gourami would work with the angels. I do know the gourami would work instead of them, if that's what you'd rather have.

Back
Top Bottom