How many kinds of sand substrate are there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never given the regional thing much thought but it's possible. Everything locally here does contains clay, from low to a fairly high concentration depending on manufacturer.

I personally feel its a poor choice for aquariums due to the amount of time it takes to clean it and the way it compacts, there are loads of better of substrates.

Yeah I know our dirt products here usually have a really high quartz content and people tend to complain about it being a regional thing. Yet no one complains when they go to the white sand beaches, lol.

I agree, playsand is not high up on my list, I'm very partial to the idea of PFS and the prepared sand products even though the latter cost a little more initially.

Yeah.. most of the dirt here is this horrible red clay, so it probably is.

What about pool sand/silica sand? The grains are a bit larger and it has a tad bit more color in it?

Same here, you can't even dig a foot most places without hitting clay and rocks. Welcome to southwest Missouri lol.

Chiroptera said:
I've seen the normal types like play sand, pool sand, black beauty, etc, but are there any types that are really unique, pretty, or otherwise? Looking for a freshwater, tropical tank. What are your thoughts on sand, and how easy it is? What are your favorites?

Do you like black sand? Black diamond sand blasting sand works great

Do you like black sand? Black diamond sand blasting sand works great

At first I really loved the idea, but.. all my bottom/mid swimmers get dark. I was thinking about it originally, but now, thinking about it, dark fish and dark substrate.. eh.

If there's something golden or brown, that would be preferable.

I think there's a type of fertilizer substrate that's sandy and dark brown, but I saw it ages ago and wouldn't know where to start looking again.

Oh okay I see. Me personally I love it. I have a jack Dempsey in a 100 gallon and the black on the bottom makes every color he has pop. But it's up to you.

I used play sand for the 75 gallon African cichlid tank I just set up. Did take quite awhile to clean but it only cost me 6 bucks for the 100 pounds I used. The water was still a bit cloudy after filling the tank but a little seachem clarity cleared it up nicely. Prolly gonna try pfs the next time I do a sand bottom tank tho.

I used play sand for the 75 gallon African cichlid tank I just set up. Did take quite awhile to clean but it only cost me 6 bucks for the 100 pounds I used. The water was still a bit cloudy after filling the tank but a little seachem clarity cleared it up nicely. Prolly gonna try pfs the next time I do a sand bottom tank tho.

What was the name brand of the play sand you used ?
And what was the pros and cons.

Back
Top Bottom