How many male dwarf gouramis in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yh8lee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a 36 gallon tank. I already have 2 male dwarf gouramis (regular & red flame), and I'm thinking of getting a third, neon blue dwarf gourami. Will they fight? Based on my current 2 males, they seemed to get along. They don't school together, but they don't fight either. The Red Flame came later, and appeared to be quite shy.

As far as I can research, dwarf gouramis are not territorial.

Thanks,

Sean

P.S. My tank is fully cycled, and I have a 3.5-inch angelfish, and a few other fish. I'm about 5-inch fish from fully stocked.

Personally, I wouldn't add another male. I think you are lucky that the two you have are not fighting. Suppose it depends on water quality and hiding places Etc. The only gouramis I have kept that didn't have any territorial issues are honey gouramis.

I think your angel could cause problems when it gets bigger too. What I'm saying is if you have the balance right. I'd not upset it by adding another.

That's my opinion anyway :)

Honestly I wouldn't add any more males. If you want any more gourami's, add females. With your two males naow, when they reach sexual maturity they may become aggressive towards each other. I have never successfully kept males together, only one male with 1-5 females.

Stick with the two. If it is working don't bother it. Dwarf gourami can be very delicate. If you add another one it might result in 3 dead dwarfs. Also, what are the "few other fish"?maybe "we" could recommend some other choices instead of another dwarf. One more thing...the 1 inch per gallon rule is silly, stocking rules are a lot more about your water parameters, filtration, water changes, ect ect.

Thanks to all of your replies. I won't add then.

For all of my fish, I stick to same-sex rule as much as I can. I know it's not natural nor the happiest, but after having going from 5 to 100+ platies in 1.5 year in a 10 gallon tank (10 years ago), I just don't want to have ANY baby fish anymore.

The only way that I don't have any baby fish is this same sex rule. Either all males or all females. And I don't want baby fish as food for bigger fish either.

It's for the best.

Merry Xmas to everyone.

Thanks to all of your replies. I won't add then.

For all of my fish, I stick to same-sex rule as much as I can. I know it's not natural nor the happiest, but after having going from 5 to 100+ platies in 1.5 year in a 10 gallon tank (10 years ago), I just don't want to have ANY baby fish anymore.

The only way that I don't have any baby fish is this same sex rule. Either all males or all females. And I don't want baby fish as food for bigger fish either.

It's for the best.

Merry Xmas to everyone.

I am considering adding a female dwarf gourami with my beautiful male dwarf gourami. Just fyi, you will not have the same breeding issue as you had with your platies 10 years ago. Platies and guppies are live breeders and their breeding is highly prolific. Egg laying fish are nowhere near the problem live bearers are in producing offspring. I get males only with livebearers, but anything else I am not so concerned. with that being said, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but where is a good place to get nice female dwarf gourami's? Anybody? I only see males in the fish stores. Oh, and Merry Christmas to you as well.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/gouramis/dwarf_gouramis.htm

Don't mean to continue to hijack your thread, but I figure I can get info I need while helping your initial posting get more traffic and replies. According to this site, they say you can have a few males together, but they recommend having several females with them. It also says that just one male with one female or just two males together is not an ideal situation. They do not explain why, but it is making me rethink getting a female to join my one male Dwarf Gourami. Also, I have had my Dwarf Gourami for about 10 months now. He is very vibrant, bright and colorful and seems happy. Would I pose any risk to him by adding a new Dwarf Gourami even if it is a female?

Back
Top Bottom