How many Neon Tetras should I add at a time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I am going to be adding 5 Neon Tetras. Should I add 1 and add another the next week until I get 5 or add 2 at a time and then two the next week?

How big is the tank? if its only small what else do you have in the tank? I've added 5 to a 40 litre with no problem..... It had 2 Gouramis and a Discus living happily and a couple of Anubius plants. It was well established though.

You should add more then 5 if your tank is big enough. I would say 8-12......we need to know how big your tank is though to give you better advice.

Right now, I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 Black Tetras, a Silver Molly, and a Pleco. I posted a thread whether or not I would be crowding the tank, and someone told me no. And yes, the tank is cycled. I haven't added any fish, other than the ones i just said, for 6 weeks now.

IMO, return the molly, and add 8 neons. They like schools, and will be happier w/out the molly, not to mention that's about all you want to put in a 10 gallon tank.

i agree take the molly back.the neons look great in schools i have them in my tank you can probaly fit about 8 or 9 in there.

When I first added to my 10 gallon tank, I added 8 fish all at once - (4) Neons and (4) Von Rio Tetras. All of them survived and did great for months. Since then, I've lost (2) Von Rios (several weeks apart), but everyone else is thriving!

ive kept 25 neons in a planted and well filtered 10g w/o problems. 30 were added at the same time to a mature tank. kuhli loaches for the bottom.

I recently added 5 neons to an established 15 gallon tank. I'm a little worried about these guys adjusting to my hard water, so for the next few weeks I'm planning to change a gallon or so of water every other day in addition to weekly changes of 5 gallons. For my delicate neons, I'm hoping that refreshing the water frequently will help them adjust and the bio filter to adjust.

my 2 cents. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom