how many ottos can i put in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been trying to start my rcs colony and recently my nitrates dropped down to zero. I was told that was bad so I need to put something with a bioload. I thought ottos since they won't eat any of my little shrimps. But I have no experience with them.
So my question is how many can I put in a 20g high tank?
I also do plan on putting 6 to 8 CPDs but now I don't think ill be able to if I add more than 3 ottos since that is a lot of bioload.

I have been trying to start my rcs colony and recently my nitrates dropped down to zero. I was told that was bad so I need to put something with a bioload. I thought ottos since they won't eat any of my little shrimps. But I have no experience with them.
So my question is how many can I put in a 20g high tank?
I also do plan on putting 6 to 8 CPDs but now I don't think ill be able to if I add more than 3 ottos since that is a lot of bioload.

You can have as many as your algae can support... Otherwise you'll have to supplement with algae wafers. Otto's need well established tanks with some algae for them to feed. I'd say add the CPD'S and maybe neon tetras to increase bioloads while keeping your shrimp safe.

Hi. I have otos which never go Hungary because my tank is next to a window! Y could do as many as you want, but some people have a hard time feeding them after the algae is all gone.

oh okay.
do they do better in schools?
when i google it up. I'm getting different answers.
some say i need to get at least 5 and theres some saying i only need two for my 20g tank.

My understanding is that they are very social and need to be in groups of at least five. Also, they are mostly wild caught and the way they are fished means they are generally very weak when they get to stores. I've heard suggestions of setting up a qt tank specifically for them and get a group. Feed them up, algea pellets, cucumber, deshelled peas ect in qt but if they aren't tank bred expect die off. Those that survive will be hardy fish.

The way these little fish are caught is brutal. I personally won't get them unless I can find a tank bred source.

Back
Top Bottom