How many shop at Big Al's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shelby_Tempo_GT

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just curious how many go to the physical stores.

Having gone to a number of LFS and PetsMart outlets, I prefer my local Big Al's.

I give that guy almost as much money as my local Tim Horton's

yup, i spend a ridiculous amount of money at big al's. very ocassionally i will go to a petsmart or to super pet but 9/10 it's big al's.

my husband says he should just have his paycheque direct deposited into big al's bank account. :)

i went there for the first time about month ago. Wasn't impressed at all! 75% of the tanks were marked NFS. They had good priced though. This was the one in London ontario. Hopefully iy will be better next time i got back.

Our local franchise in Calgary was rather poor, and thanks to bad management, closed about a year ago...the Edmonton franchise is quite the opposite, and well worth the visit...I try to stop in there at least 1-2 times each month when I am up there.

i have to say that i have a love/hate relationship with my local big al's. they definitely have everything i need and they have competitive prices but their advice is RIDICULOUSLY bad.

on at least 6 ocassions when i've asked a question of a staff member, i've gotten flat out wrong answers or terribly poor advice. i now keep my husband at home near the phone so that i can call him and ask him to look things up online if i have any questions.

I love BA, great if you are into planted tanks. They have the best selection of plants, substrate and C02 gear anywhere. The advice can be good or bad, depending on who you talk to. Some folks just like to hear themselves talk, others know what they are talking about. If you can find someone that knows thier stuff, stick with them! I am lucky as I live near the biggest BA in Canada, always well stocked and mostly good, experienced staff.
Hello all by the way, been around here for a year and just now thought to join the Canadian troop!

which one is the biggest in ontario? i go to the one on steeles in north york and i've yet to find a reliable staff member. i find it very frustrating. in fact i called and complained to the manager and he was appalled at what i'd been through in setting up my tank.

i purposely try to talk to a different person every time i'm in there just in the hopes of getting someone knowledgable.

Got to go to the one in Qakville. It's south on Trafalgar rd, all the way down past the QEW. It's on Kerr st. You can still run into a bonehead there as well, but for the most part they go out of thier way to make you happy and have a few guys that really know thier stuff. They will order plants from Tropica for you as well. Since I've been to that BA I don't go anywhere else for serious purchases. I live in Milton so it's a 20 minute drive for me. Check it out if it's not to far out of your way.

Glenc said:
Got to go to the one in Qakville. It's south on Trafalgar rd, all the way down past the QEW. It's on Kerr st. You can still run into a bonehead there as well, but for the most part they go out of thier way to make you happy and have a few guys that really know thier stuff. They will order plants from Tropica for you as well. Since I've been to that BA I don't go anywhere else for serious purchases. I live in Milton so it's a 20 minute drive for me. Check it out if it's not to far out of your way.

If you are in Milton, check the Hamilton store too. It's a little dumpy (it's been around for at least 20 years) but most of the fish room guys are aquarists themselves. Give them the chance and they will go on about their own tanks.

Shelby_Tempo_GT said:
Glenc said:

If you are in Milton, check the Hamilton store too. It's a little dumpy (it's been around for at least 20 years) but most of the fish room guys are aquarists themselves. Give them the chance and they will go on about their own tanks.

maybe one day i'll convince my husband to accompany me to one of those stores. the north york one is about 6 minutes from me so it's hard to motivate myself to drive all the way out to oakville (or hamilton). but it would be nice to compare stores.

:)

I go to both Hamilton and Oakville. for the most part I stick to Oakville. They seem to have a wider selection for most things... I've been to London, Kitchener, Hamilton, Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton and Markham (pretty sure that's where it was).. london had an ich outbreak, the one I went to in T.O was not in great shape.. they pretty much made names up for the fish.. Most of the other stores seemed alright, but I didn't buy much more then driftwood and filter media from them..

The Oakville store is pretty good but it does have it's rough times.I was there today and things did not look so hot in a few of the coral tanks (red slime) but over all it is the best store in the chain in the GTA. If anyone has been to the Brampton store and has delt with Frank, I just found out he does not work there anymore which is a real drag because he was really helpfull and honest.

Funny how the locations vary. I've gotten to the point where I won't buy livestock from either BA's here. Other people think they're ok though - maybe its just the Livebearers. The staff have always been good here - very friendly & helpful. The prices are sky high here, but so are most things in BC :roll: .

Good to know I shouldn't dismiss them all if I happen to be Province-hopping!

----------------------------------

}}='=:> LB <:='={{
CanadiansInternet.com
CanadianAquariumConnection.com

Livebearer said:
Funny how the locations vary. I've gotten to the point where I won't buy livestock from either BA's here. Other people think they're ok though - maybe its just the Livebearers. The staff have always been good here - very friendly & helpful. The prices are sky high here, but so are most things in BC :roll: .

Good to know I shouldn't dismiss them all if I happen to be Province-hopping!

----------------------------------

}}='=:> LB <:='={{
CanadiansInternet.com
CanadianAquariumConnection.com

AFAIK, they are mostly franchises. So you are subject to the local management.

CO2 Gear

"Glenc" mentioned Big Al's having the best selection of CO2 gear but not the specific location. This would happen to be the London store, would it? I am exploring CO2, but need to get some advice. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom