How many Zebra Danios in a 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matronmedusa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a 55 gallon tank for about a year and a half. It started with a Rainbow Shark and about 5 or 6 Zebra Danios (among a few other species that sadly didn't make it through my trial and error). I try to clean the gravel every few weeks so that any eggs the Danios may lay don't get a chance to hatch, but there have been two occasions in which I sucked up Danio fry. I didn't have the heart to simply wash them down the drain with the dirty water, so I raised them in a 10 gallon tank until the surviving few were big enough introduce back into the big tank.

Well, after two batches, I now have a school of 12 Zebra Danios in with the Rainbow Shark, and 12 more that need to get out of the tiny 10 gallon tank and into the big one. Would a school of 24 Danios and a Rainbow Shark be comfortable in that size tank? Should I consider bringing some back to the pet store, or will they all be okay in the 55 gallon until I can set up another large tank, which may be several more months?

No more babies for me, they are exhausting! I now clean the gravel at least every 3 weeks, and I'm really okay with nature taking it's course and letting the fish eat whatever fry may survive.

I would say 24 is fine. 55 is a large tank. I would worry about keeping the rainbow shark from making a snack of them. They can be territorial.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks! I kinda figured it would be; they are so small! The shark investigates when I put more in the tank, he's like the grumpy landlord. But none of the Danios have suffered the wrath of his nature thus far; it's almost like they are too exhausting for him to bother chasing. I've done extensive research over the last year and half, but there are so many mixed opinions. In the beginning, I was told that my Neon Tetras would be great tank mates (from several sources on the internet, AND the people at multiple pet stores), but I only have 2 left now out of 6. When I finally realized the shark was the culprit, I put the Tetras over into the 10 gallon tank with the baby Danios when the babies were finally a size they wouldn't get eaten.

More research says that a small school of Neon Tetras can comfortably live in a 10 gallon aquarium since they aren't very active, so I am going to get more of them to accompany the two already in there. I just hate small tanks and the amount of care they require, so I am still eventually going to get another 55 gallon tank for my business. That way, the Neon Tetras will have a bigger home again with better tank mates, and without a menacing monster trying to make an easy meal of them.

Next question: Do you think that with all 24 Danios and the Rainbow Shark, that I could still comfortably fit a small school of Rainbow Fish? I've been trying to find a species that can get along with the Shark besides the Danios, and from what I've read, these colorful beauties are the ideal choice. I know 55 gallons is large, but I want them to all be comfortable. Should I wait until I get the second tank and divide the Danios into two schools of about 12, or should they all be okay in their together?

I know I'm speaking in paragraphs more than questions, but I just want to be thorough about the situation so I get accurate advice. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428420416.037478.jpg

This is from www.aqadvisor.com

I put in your shark and 24 danios and you are at about 52% stocked! Now that's exciting to hear you can do much more with the tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

That IS exciting!! LOL Well, higher capacity, higher maintenance, so I will find a comfortable arrangement for both the fish and myself. Thank you so much!! I'm going to go play with that thing right now...

Back
Top Bottom