How much and how often should I feed 'em?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicman

Aquarium Advice Activist
The more I learn about fish keeping, the more I find that there are a lot of different opinions on how best to keep fish. I recently set up a 39gal Community Tank and realized that I don't really know how much to feed them, or how often. Looking for advice only made things more confusing.

This is some of the feeding advice I've found in books and on websites.

1. Once a day, what can be eaten in about "X" minutes.
2. Twice a day, what can be eaten in about "X" minutes.
(X varies from 3 to 10 minutes)
3. The same amount as the size of the fish's eye.
4. Three to four small meals a day.

So, looking for an answer has only left me more confused.

My community tank is moderately planted and contains 1 Opal Gourami, 1 Rainbow Shark, 4 Mollies, 10 Black Neon Tetras, and 3 Algae Eating Shrimp. Never had a community tank before, so I don't really know how to judge how much I should be feeding.

I have been feeding two to four times a day what can be consumed in about 3ish minutes. ... never see any wasted food. I change up what is being fed often with a variety of foods, including 3 kinds of flake, blood worms, little shrimps, algae wafers, and some frozen brine shrimp.

So.... How much and how often should I feed 'em?

I feed my 29 Gallon what could be eaten in 3 minutes, once a day. And one day of the week I fast the tank, so they can scavenge for any food in the tank. I've heard from many sources that fish don't eat much in the wild, and we basically give fish that would normally eat every 3 -4 days a buffets worth of food a day.

idk, most places i've read say 1-2 minutes, especially the newer "good" books on fish keeping and in TFH magazine........

3 min should be fine too........as you have bottom dwellers

Back
Top Bottom