How much food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hearne178

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there.

We have just bought a Biorb 30l Flow and we have 3 little fish in it. We have 1 x guppy, 1 x Pintail Wag Platy and 1 x Cardinal Tetra.

The advice from the shop was to feed them a very small amount every other day. All the food we bought says that we should feed them every day (even twice a day).

What would you recommend?

Many thanks

I've noticed that all pet foods, even dog food, tell you to feed too much on the manufacturer instructions. I wonder why ;-)

A small pinch every other day sounds good. Also the quality of the food matters. What kind of food are you using?

Hi. I'm guessing that the tank is yet to be cycled yet? Or have you added seeded media from another tank? You can cycle with the fish you have in already. It's even more important to feed lightly during this period.

If you are not aware of the need to establish a nitrogen cycle on your tank now would be a good time to google it.

You will need to keep tabs on your water parameters using a liquid test kit and change your water as much as is needed to keep parameters in check.

You should be ok. I wouldn't add anymore fish until your tank is fully cycled though. Anymore questions on cycling Just ask :)

I've noticed that all pet foods, even dog food, tell you to feed too much on the manufacturer instructions. I wonder why ;-)

A small pinch every other day sounds good. Also the quality of the food matters. What kind of food are you using?

Thanks - I am using TetraMin

Really good articles. Never heard of the need to cycle the tank before...

Thanks

Cycling your tank is super important and will make keeping fish a lot more pleasurable as they don't keep dying on you :( It can be intimidating at first -- what with all the instructions, but really it's not so bad. Just make sure you understand WHY you need to do every step and take your time.

Post your questions here, and lots of people will happily help you. We've all been through this. :)

By the way, that brand of food is fine.

I find that feeding fish multiple times a day is fine. It all depends on how much and how quickly they eat it. But I would stick to once a day. Only feeding what they can eat in a minute, with none of it reaching the bottom.

The problem is that even if the food is eaten multiple times a day, it has to come out as fish waste which will result in more toxins. Not as much a problem in an established tank but the end result of nitrates will result in more frequent and higher volumes of water changes.

I feed once a day whatever they can eat in a two minute period. I'll even skip a day once a week.

It's even more important to be careful not to over feed in a smaller tank especially during a cycle.

It doesn't really matter whether you feed your fish once every 3 days or 3 times a day (for those fish). As long as they don't have caved in bellies, or always look bloated, you are fine. However, that is an 8 gallon tank, which may not be best for the platy or cardinal tetra. I would watch the platy and cardinal, because once they get bigger they'll probably need a bigger tank. But the most important thing is cycling the tank, that's always mandatory.

It doesn't really matter whether you feed your fish once every 3 days or 3 times a day (for those fish). As long as they don't have caved in bellies, or always look bloated, you are fine. However, that is an 8 gallon tank, which may not be best for the platy or cardinal tetra. I would watch the platy and cardinal, because once they get bigger they'll probably need a bigger tank. But the most important thing is cycling the tank, that's always mandatory.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your comments about the Tetra and Platy are a little worrying, as they were sold to us as perfect for our tank. I will clearly have to monitor a lot!!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your comments about the Tetra and Platy are a little worrying, as they were sold to us as perfect for our tank. I will clearly have to monitor a lot!!!

Your welcome! :)

Well, I wouldn't be too worried, for now they will be fine, but just know that it may not be best for them. However, if it is not a cardinal tetra, but a neon tetra, then that might be okay, or at least better.

Take a look at this:

Attachments

• cardinal_tetra_vs_neon_tetra.jpg
    cardinal_tetra_vs_neon_tetra.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2,609
Back
Top Bottom