How much is a tail worth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I have my new 120 48x24x24 and it says 24" of fish minus the tail. Im looking into clowns (percula-black-n-white/tank raised percula`s etc) how much would you take off for the tail? I dont want to over stock and end up with just clowns.

System spec`s 120 gal tank with a-wet/dry rated for 200 gal/ 1000 gph from sump and four maxi-jet 600 running on a red sea wave controller. 45# live rock and 50 # base rock, 2" sand bed mix of live and base.

Hammer.

Inches per gallon is a poor way to judge the stocking level of your tank. It kind of works for FW, but for SW there is more to consider. The type, feeding, compatibility, and mannerisms of the fish are more important than how long they are. Decide on the type of fish you absolutely must have in your tank and base all future decisions off of how it likes to live. With a 120 gallon tank, I wouldn't be conerned with ending up with only clowns, unless you're planning on schools of them.

Thanks for the input, I only asked because im starting with a pair of black n white`s and a pair of perc`s. I was thinking about a maroon but ill hold off and think about what i want to finish with rather than what i want right now.

Hammer

Clowns can be pretty aggressive with other types of clowns. The can even be pretty aggressive to the same type if they're not introduced to the tank when they're young and at the same time. You might be ok with 2 types in a 120, but keep an eye on them.

To fill your tank with clowns on a 120 you would need like 15 or more so there isnt much problem there.

Back
Top Bottom