how much light do I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrduna01

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was wondering if the forum could help me determine if my new setup has low medium or high light. I have a standard 75 gallon (4 ft long, 20 high) and have a 48 inch t5 Ho fixture with two bulbs of 54 watts for 108 total watts. Now I know I'm only approaching 1.5 watts per gallon but I have heard that the high out put wattage can not be looked at in terms of watts per gallon due to more usable light or something like that?

Yeah, disregard the whole WPG thing. You've got a lot of light. I wouldn't try HC or any other high light carpeting plants, but you should be good on most anything else. The only problem I can see is that you have two bulbs that are pretty close together on a tank that's pretty wide... so you're going to have to concentrate the higher light stuff closer to the part of the tank that the light is over.

I agree with that. It really depends a lot on the particular fixture/bulbs you are using, but if its just a basic shelf t5ho fixture you are likely in the medium range right now. Since the 75 footprint is wide, it probably isn't getting even coverage from front to back, so I'd put the more demanding plants along the middle closest to the light.

Awesome guys thanks. My fixture is an aquatic life freshwater fixture. It came with a 6700 k bulb and another that looks pink labeled a 650 m if I am not mistaken. Not sure what that is. Thinking of replacing it with A 10000 K bulb. :).

Any other suggestions? I want to grow some grass like plants, a couple amazon swords, anubas, some baby tears, and still out on what else. I want to keep adding plants and get in to the heavily planted range.

BTW I know nothing about aquascaping but want it to look nice. My plan thus far is to add a plant here and there and just wing it. Any help with that would be appreciated as far as plant reccomendations. This is a new setup. Waiting on my substrate to arrive from petco to get going.

Back
Top Bottom