How much light is necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I generally get home from work at 6:45pm. The lights on my 125 run from 6:00pm to about 10:30pm. The corals all look very healthy and nice.

I'm setting up a 44 gallon reef tank and have a 250w MH lamp on the way. I'm starting to regret getting that much light now for several different reasons - electricity, heat - for example. Although I really like the acroporas I could keep in this tank.

I'm thinking of running the MH on this tank from 6:45 to 10:00 - or about 3 hours and 15 minutes. I may put some small actinic PCs which would run an additional hour. Is this enough light for acropora and other corals in general?

I would stongly agree, they need muc more light. :wink:

We are trying to mimic nature as best as possible, sunrise to sunset. :D

Hey if you want to make a deal on the MH for a pc swap, and cash, let me know. :mrgreen:

The PC lamp would have to fit a very difficult tank - a 44 pentagon. It's maybe 23" across the top at it's furthest points and just as deep as a 125. I've found no PC lamps to fit this tank - unless I crammed 5-6 mini PC 26w lights into the homemade hood.

coralife has a pc unit in 20" or 24" that has between 36w and 130 watts depending on number of bulbs " Coralife Aqualight" And yes, no one ever said that saltwater was cheap.

That coralife aqualight is perfect. Where were you last week before I ordered the MH?

I have a feeling once I see the MH in the tank I won't want to give it up though.

The 14000k bulb. I got that incredible deal for $149 complete. The guy at the LFS couldn't believe that price although he isn't a fan of MH.

The one at the diyreef.com site? You will love it. I had to rebuild my canopy this weekend so it would fit. Other than that, it is exactly what I was looking for. If you like the shimmer effect, this one is nice with a hint of blue in it.
You won't find it at that price anywhere locally, at least not around here. :)

Mike

Salttanker said:
The one at the diyreef.com site? You will love it. I had to rebuild my canopy this weekend so it would fit. Other than that, it is exactly what I was looking for. If you like the shimmer effect, this one is nice with a hint of blue in it.
You won't find it at that price anywhere locally, at least not around here. :)

Mike

Yep, you inspired me. I rebuilt my hood this weekend also. I'm still covering it with urethane to make sure it doesn't warp, but it's looking good. Tall enough to keep the MH about 12" above the top of the water. I love the shadowy, shimmering look, so I know I'll love it. The cheapest I found for a simlilar retro was $189 and I was about to order when you posted the DIYreef link. Perfect timing.

Thats about where I have mine mounted. I have the back of the canopy opened so the hot air can escape. What I did was point a PH towards the surface of the so it would have a rippling effect. When the light shines in, it looks like sun rays in the tank. Spectacular!
My hood didn't come out the same color as the original, but I will rebuild another later..I just wanted to start using it so my wife would leave me alone about it being on the dining room table. lol
btw: they will ship it pretty quick..I got mine within 3 days.
Mike

Right on. I'll probably get mine tonight then.

The back of my hood is mostly open but I have 2 fans on the way too, just in case. I now have to find a way to fit actinic fixtures in there also.

Thanks for the heads-up on that deal too.

Fortunately, I was able to install my Coralife 4x65w retro along with the MH retro. It was a tight fit, but I was able to do it. I am going to try and DIY my fans since I have access to some server fans here. Just need to convert them.

I am always looking for good (cheap) deals. I'll post any on this forum if it looks good. :)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom