How much of a pwc should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TlmAsj2910

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon tank and my ammonia level is at stress. How much of a pwc should i do to get the level down?
I have been doing pwc every day and adding in prime after each change, and my level went down but not completely.
please help.

What is your ammonia reading? 50% is a good place to start regardless. You'll never get it to go completely away without doing a 100% water change.. take away half, it reduces it by half.

Are using test strips or liquid test kit? Test strips are notoriuosly inaccurate but they are better than not testing at all. How big are your pwcs? I agree to start at 50% then retest. Let us know what you are using to check amm levels!

I agree with the above. Start with 50% then retest. If it's an in-take indicator those aren't very reliable but better than nothing. If the levels are still high after a 50% change, do another. If it's a cycling tank then it's best to get a good liquid test kit (API Master is best). Do you know the nitrite reading? (which is another toxin that can spike during cycling and is toxic to fish, so another reason to get an API kit).

Also you should add the Prime to the water before you add it to the tank.

After my cycle I 50% wc every week for over a half year and iz good perameters.

Also you should add the Prime to the water before you add it to the tank.

Was wondering if anyone else caught that. If you are adding the Prime to the tank after the pwc, then you are introducing chlorine to your system every time, which is possibly killing any BB you may have built up....taking you back to square one each time.

Back
Top Bottom